fishy suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the process of setting up my new tank :D It's a 20 gal tall and will be moderately to heavily planted although it's going to take a while for the plants to take off because I'm going the low light route for now.

Originally I was just going to have a livebearer tank but I'm reconsidering. I'd like to set up a community that took advantage of the height such as Top:Betta Middle:Harliquin Rasboras Bottom: otos. Obviously, I have no idea if that would actually work, but at this point I'm wide open to suggestions.

Actually that's just an example... I was rather wondering about other set ups like that. Although it's good to know that works....it might be what I end up doing.

I think Angelfish are interesting although I know they get to be about 6" each and are aggressive if they are mating. Also saw some interesting Gouramai...but don't know much about them past what's on fishprofiles.com.

Devilishturtles said:
That would work great. All of them would get along fine. I'm glad you are choosing the Harlequin Rasboras. They are such a great fish!

hehehe yeah I like the rasboras...to date it's the only FW fish my fiancee has even hinted he liked the look of....he doesn't get the aquarium obsession I've got going. :roll:

Harlequins really are cool fish. Just not your average neon tetras or something, ya know.
I think Angelfish are interesting although I know they get to be about 6" each and are aggressive if they are mating

I wouldn't go for angels in a 20 gal tank. They need lots of room and yes, can get agressive if you get a mating pair.

Also saw some interesting Gouramai...but don't know much about them past what's on fishprofiles.com.

How about Dwarf Gouramis? These are really cool fish. Brightly colored.

You could do something nice with 5-6 Harlequins, 2 or so Dwarf Gouramis, and some 3 or so cories.

Good luck. :D

Devilishturtles said:
How about Dwarf Gouramis? These are really cool fish. Brightly colored.

You could do something nice with 5-6 Harlequins, 2 or so Dwarf Gouramis, and some 3 or so cories.

Good luck. :D

do the Dwarfs spend more time near the surface or in the middle? Also which type of cory would you suggest? Would the cories be ok with the eco-complete I'm using for substrate?

...I do like the harlequins :)

Hey Umberle,
I had a pair of dwarf gourami's in a 20 long tank. It worked for a little while, but after about a month, they fought all the time. I had two males, couldn't find a female, and I knew I shouldn't but I thought it would work. If you go for the dwarfs, either go one male, or a male/ female.
As far as the other fish, get what you like. You have obviously been studying. Good luck and I hope your tank comes out great!
:lol:

Also, the gouramis I had stayed in the middle to top area. HTH!

Another fish that would do great would be a paradise fish. It is a gourami, and the females are really nice and get great personalities. as for the cories, I'd suggest a panda cory or an emerald green. I also like the look of Harlequins, one of my favorite "small" fish.

Back
Top Bottom