Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fluval 305 filter question

I have a 75g with a Fluval 305 and an AC300 HOB filter. Tank is cycled and has only a few fish in it.

The Fluval came with media to start it up and running. The carbon bags and the bio stuff.
I would like to know about changing the carbon bags on my Fluval 305. I have read different things about these as far as replacing them all with sponge/foam as well as replacing the carbon with new carbon anywhere from 2-weeks to 2-months to leaving one in until it basically starts to fall apart.

Does Fluval recommend any time frame to replacing the carbon?

Would it be ok to change all the carbon out for more sponge/foam filters instead.(less maintenance) What would I be sacrificing as far as my water is concerned if I took out the carbon? I guess this is my main concern.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Concensus by many is that charcoal has its place when you need to remove chemicals from the water... So I'd either leave it in (lots of surface area on charcoal) or swap with sponge/foam/whatever.

Fluval would probably recommend changing carbon once a month at least - but then they're in the business of selling supplies.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Charcoal has a very short life as far as filtration goes.

I have the 305 too, and ditched the carbon that came with it. I have the 4 coarse pads in the vertical section, 2 trays of ceramic bio media, and the top tray are polishing pads.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ditched the carbon in all of my filters. I use sponge, floss, and ceramic rings. Lots of surface area on those ceramic rings.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, fluval, fluval 305, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com