Fluval 305 filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benjamn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75g with a Fluval 305 and an AC300 HOB filter. Tank is cycled and has only a few fish in it.

The Fluval came with media to start it up and running. The carbon bags and the bio stuff.
I would like to know about changing the carbon bags on my Fluval 305. I have read different things about these as far as replacing them all with sponge/foam as well as replacing the carbon with new carbon anywhere from 2-weeks to 2-months to leaving one in until it basically starts to fall apart.

Does Fluval recommend any time frame to replacing the carbon?

Would it be ok to change all the carbon out for more sponge/foam filters instead.(less maintenance) What would I be sacrificing as far as my water is concerned if I took out the carbon? I guess this is my main concern.

Concensus by many is that charcoal has its place when you need to remove chemicals from the water... So I'd either leave it in (lots of surface area on charcoal) or swap with sponge/foam/whatever.

Fluval would probably recommend changing carbon once a month at least - but then they're in the business of selling supplies.

Charcoal has a very short life as far as filtration goes.

I have the 305 too, and ditched the carbon that came with it. I have the 4 coarse pads in the vertical section, 2 trays of ceramic bio media, and the top tray are polishing pads.

Last edited:
I ditched the carbon in all of my filters. I use sponge, floss, and ceramic rings. Lots of surface area on those ceramic rings.

Back
Top Bottom