Fluval 404 current for small fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 75g with predominately smaller fish (guppies/platies/mollies, etc). I currently have a Fluval 404 from a previous setup, but my fish were much larger in that tank (barbs, plecos, catfish).

I'm wondering if the output of the 404 is going to generate too much current for the little guys. And should I put a filter sock or something over the intake to keep them from getting sucked in, as well?

A pre filter would be a good idea on the intake. Better safe than sorry. The output can be directed anywhere in the tank, even at the bottom of the tank. I have a 404 on my discus tank and I took off the plastic part on the bottom of the output tube so that the current directly aims at the bottom of the tank. Creates less direct current. Shouldn't be a problem either way, try it facing a couple of different ways and see how it does.

A spray bar pointed at the back of the tank will lessen the current for the fish .

I don't think the output will be too strong. If it is too strong in spots, then they will avoid those spots. I don't think the intake will catch adult healthy fish, but fry would likely get sucked up without a sponge cover on the intake. I use two 404's on a 55 gal with no problems.

I would think your boarderline underfiltered. But, I am a filtration nut so I might be wrong. GPH on a 404 is 350, so thats 5 cycles per hour. If your not going to stock to capacity, might not be a big deal. However, since you have fish that multiply like rabbits, might want to add another 350 filter like another 404, XP3, Magnum canister, just something to help clean the tank.

Just my 2 fish worth.

Back
Top Bottom