Fluval Chi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
I am really interested in either a fluval chi or some other fluval. They are a bit pricey, but so gorgeous. The only fish would be my blue betta. I wanted a planted tank. So, what I wanted to know was, what are your experiences or thoughts about this or similar tanks?

i have Chi and i think it is a good starter kind of all-in-one tank. if betta is the only fish in the tank, then you will be fine. with the light provided, you can have some anubias, java ferns, and moss. with some small driftwood and some pebbles, you can have a really lush low tech low maintenance tank.

I have one sitting on my counter right now, the LED in there is severely underpowered. I keep some plants but it's very limited in it's capability. It makes a nice furniture piece though, since it's not overly bright. One plus is it's design allows you to grow things out of the top of it, aquaponics style. But again, if you have a betta, it may jump out. Bettas are bred to jump so pick a tank with a lid on it. Don't go with the fluval edge, either, since bettas need to go to the surface to breathe periodically and the edge only affords a very small area to do so. If you are set on a fluval then maybe something like a fluval flora would be a better idea. Or one of the larger fluval specs.

I had the chi, and it was great at first, but then i realized the water evaporated way to fast (even with the lid from amazon), the light switch was a little hassle to switch cuz its on the back, the filter wasnt to good , and its very hard to replace media cuz the opening is on the bottom. The lighting was ok, but no moon light setting. Also heaters dont look good in that tank. On a side note, when that tank gets dirty you,ll notice! It was very cool at first, and my betta liked it, but one thing led to another, and i started to dislike it more and more. I moved on to a fluval view and i am completely satisfied. Its cheap and looks brilliant. I get nothing but complements from people who see it. Only problem is filter is a bit strong, but easily fixed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Aquarium Advice Mobile App

Attachments

• 1421942362785.jpg
    1421942362785.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 130
I had a Fluval view for a while (until I dropped it and then tripped and fell on it and that was the end of that. I liked it very much, and it was very good for a single betta.

I also have a Fluval Spec V (two of them, in fact) which I like very much as well.

I have a chi, the six gallon one. It was given to me as a gift along with a betta. I kept it at work for about 4 months and discovered that the filter is horrid and the light was pretty weak. I was doing 40% water changes once a week and developed some nasty brown algae despite that. Water condition tested okay so I'm blaming the low light for my problem. I ended up switching Fishyfish over to a Tetra 5 gallon crescent because no matter what I tried, it just wouldn't go away. He seems pretty happy, although I took away his live plants.

The water, even with a lid, evaporated super fast on the chi too as others have mentioned.

Other than that, I liked it a lot. The water fall was nice and soothing and it was a gorgeous tank. I think I might clean it up and try it at home again with another betta later this year. I'll definitely add a better filter to it though.

Back
Top Bottom