Fluval Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor ram. If it was me, I would keep all fish out and just be patient.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

not a practical idea , it would mean buying a whole new tank, as I have no other , and starting this process all over again .

Sorry for your ram.
They are a very delicate fish IMO and won't tolerate any swings or spikes with an uncycled tank...
The Prime converts....
Clearly printed in link you provided that I have read before....
I use seachem SAFE instead of prime due to my large volume of tanks(1,000g++) and the fact it is WAY cheaper....
You can use prime every two days for converting but I really expect your tank/filter to come around shortly.
Often GBR purchased from LFS(besides MINE) are genetically inferior and already stressed and weak.:whistle:
Good luck you are getting closer to the fun part...

not a practical idea , it would mean buying a whole new tank, as I have no other , and starting this process all over again .

Right : ( No turning back now. You'll just have to do water tests whenever you're home. Keep an extremely close eye on the tank.

Sorry for your ram.
They are a very delicate fish IMO and won't tolerate any swings or spikes with an uncycled tank...
The Prime converts....
Clearly printed in link you provided that I have read before....
I use seachem SAFE instead of prime due to my large volume of tanks(1,000g++) and the fact it is WAY cheaper....
You can use prime every two days for converting but I really expect your tank/filter to come around shortly.
Often GBR purchased from LFS(besides MINE) are genetically inferior and already stressed and weak.:whistle:
Good luck you are getting closer to the fun part...

SAFE is a good product too. I find dry products somewhat weird lol, but it does its job and is somewhat cheaper, too.
Your tank is close to being cycled. The fish will help, but make sure you do your WC's whenever needed (which might be quite a bit!)

Right : ( No turning back now. You'll just have to do water tests whenever you're home. Keep an extremely close eye on the tank.

your right ! I did just that , those ugly nitrites rearing its head again , changed the water and their gone .
I have gotten efficent at water changes LOL ! :lol:

Well, I'm about to be efficient as well. My 3 year old daughter has convinced me that we need fish in one of the empty tanks, so were heading home with neon tetras and white clouds.

90% WC to rid the ammonia. Tested and have 0 ammonia, .25 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Another big WC when we get home, water tests, more bacteria and then acclimate the fish for awhile. This isn't the way I planned, but hopefully this bacteria in a bottle starts working!

Well, I'm about to be efficient as well. My 3 year old daughter has convinced me that we need fish in one of the empty tanks, so were heading home with neon tetras and white clouds.

90% WC to rid the ammonia. Tested and have 0 ammonia, .25 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Another big WC when we get home, water tests, more bacteria and then acclimate the fish for awhile. This isn't the way I planned, but hopefully this bacteria in a bottle starts working!

congrats on the new fish (y)
so what brand of baceria in a bottle did you use ?
Me , I am back to the old song and dance . Test water , high Nitrites, change water , no nitrite, next morning test water , nitrites , and the dance continues !
No ammonia detectable . Prime will reduce nitrites but it is short lived and just a band aid . I will keep adding stability at least untill the full week is up but I am thinking that no product exists that works 100% .

Special Blend Mictobe-Lift is what I'm using.
No matter how many WC I do, my nitrites stay at .25 with no ammonia and no nitrates. Eventually the BB will covert the nitrites to nitrates and all will be grand. But until then, we'll both be singing and dancing. I've been here before and it really sucks lol. Once you have a good colony, you can instantly seed any tank.

still fighting the fight of N02 , water changes ect .
So Ceej , how goes your tank ?

I did Go to the local petco and got a replacement ram , nice ram ! Full flowing fins and now both rams swim togeather . Nice to see everyone playing nice togeather .

Be careful with getting fish from Petco and Petsmart. Most of the time the fish are fine, but there are lots of cases where people bring home diseases. It can happen at your LFS, too, but just be careful.

My tank is holding steady at .25 nitrite. Gotta do a PWC tonight.

It's awesome that your rams are happy!!

Be careful with getting fish from Petco and Petsmart. Most of the time the fish are fine, but there are lots of cases where people bring home diseases. It can happen at your LFS, too, but just be careful.

My tank is holding steady at .25 nitrite. Gotta do a PWC tonight.

It's awesome that your rams are happy!!

I skipped my nightly water change last night , just wore out . I did test and I was at 1ppm nitrite , so I got lazy and doesed with prime , all went to zero !
this afternoon retested , I was up to .5 ppm nitrite so i just did a 70% water change , of course everthing down to nothing .
I hear ya on fish at petsmart . Was just their buying some new food . I was checking out their stock and saw 4 fish dead in the water . Shame because they had some real nice looking cherry barbs and their GBR were VERY nice looking . But I bought no new fish , just food and some seachem flouish for the live plants .

Woo Hoo !!
This is a milestone ! It is the 1st morning after doing a water change that I had ZERO Nitrites ! :dance:
Tested ammonia zero
tested nitrates 10 ppm
I am a happy camper . I will retest tonight and see if this pattern holds but my hope is up sky high .
What I am not real clear on is nitrates ( no3 ) what level is acceptable and at what point should I change water ?
I do have a good amount of live plants so should they help ??
Also wondering what effect flourish has , if any on testing

grabbed this from an online site publication

In nature nitrates remain very low, generally well below 5 ppm. In freshwater aquariums nitrates should be kept below 50 at all times, preferably below 25 ppm. If you are breeding fish, or are battling algae growth, keep nitrates below 10 ppm.

0, 0, .25 Nitrates or below is what you want to shoot for.

I'm not sure if flourish has any effect since I've never used it.

0, 0, .25 Nitrates or below is what you want to shoot for.

I'm not sure if flourish has any effect since I've never used it.

thanks , redid my tests tonight . I am golden ! :dance:
tank has cycled (y)
How goes Your tank ?

Woohoo! So what is your final thought on bacteria in a bottle?

.25 nitrite daily. No ammonia or nitrate. Daily water changes are my life lol. With each water change, I replenish the tank with the Special Blend bacteria. Not sure if it's really helping me out or not :/

Woohoo! So what is your final thought on bacteria in a bottle?

.25 nitrite daily. No ammonia or nitrate. Daily water changes are my life lol. With each water change, I replenish the tank with the Special Blend bacteria. Not sure if it's really helping me out or not :/

My final thought on the stuff ? Of the 3 I tried ...Tetra safe start , fail does not do what it claims
Fluval brand better but only does seem to have the ability to get rid of ammonia.
Seachem stability wins out of the 3 , their claim of 7 days seems to hold true , My tank did cycle with in their claimed time period . They made no claims , unlike the other 2 , of being able to add fish right away . Instead they claim " Rapidly & safely establishes biofilter " which I found to be true .
If I had this to do all over again , I would defintly have only used the seachem stability .
May I suggest You get some . I realy beleive it will help you out :)
I do know that petsmart sells the stuff if that helps

Interesting. Well, I may have to use it some time. I'm going to finish out this cycle with the Special Blend, which makes no promised time frame, and I'll see where I end up. Once this tank is cycled I can instantly seed any other tank I want. However, I think I may pick up some Seachem Stability just to have!

Interesting. Well, I may have to use it some time. I'm going to finish out this cycle with the Special Blend, which makes no promised time frame, and I'll see where I end up. Once this tank is cycled I can instantly seed any other tank I want. However, I think I may pick up some Seachem Stability just to have!

special blend ?
is this the stuff ?
https://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/bacterial-products/special-blend/
humm , never heard of it so somewhat scratching my head over its claims hope it works for You :)

Back
Top Bottom