Fluval Edge 46 litre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsreid2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post so hi to everyone.
Just bought a Fluval Edge 46l with a plan to keep some tropical fish.
We have always had goldfish but thought we would try our luck with tropical.
What would people recommend for a tank of his size.
I have bought some gravel, driftwood, plants and a couple of stones.
I would like he fish to be the main feature without overcrowding it.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

HI and welcome to AA!

That's about a 12 gal tank so you have some options.

First though you'll want to read up on cycling the tank properly (letting the tank run for a few days doesn't cycle it regardless what the pet/fish store may say). The easiest/safest way to cycle the tank is using pure ammonia. There's a link in my signature called: 'new empty tank;' it'll guide you through. If you add fish too soon without properly cycling it you'll be doing daily water changes for 4-6 weeks to keep your fish alive.

As for stocking you could do a school of fish like ember tetra, glowlight tetra, chili rasbora. Or some platys, endler's livebearer's or guppies. You could also add a small group of pygmy corys, a couple of snails (zebra nerites are cool and their eggs can't hatch in freshwater so no fear of being overrun with them). There are probably more options but I'm not a very good stocking expert; hopefully others will chime in. You'll have time to figure it out while your tank cycles. :) Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I have read a lot about cycling the tank and I am going to leave it to cycle correctly.
I really like tiger barbs, do you think the tank is big enough for around 5-6 of them as I know you need to keep them in small groups.

Back
Top Bottom