Fluval edge 46L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffmiester

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,after many years keeping a Koi Pond, I've decided with a bit of encouragement from my son,to get a Aquarium.Ive bought a Fluval Edge 46Litre ,I have cycled the aquarium for a week ,checked my water condition and yesterday bought 6 Gold Danios, which as of we speak are doing fine ....when can I had my next batch of fish which will be tetras plus a couple of algae and bottom feeders ... Cheers Jeff

Jeffmiester said:
Hi,after many years keeping a Koi Pond, I've decided with a bit of encouragement from my son,to get a Aquarium.Ive bought a Fluval Edge 46Litre ,I have cycled the aquarium for a week ,checked my water condition and yesterday bought 6 Gold Danios, which as of we speak are doing fine ....when can I had my next batch of fish which will be tetras plus a couple of algae and bottom feeders ... Cheers Jeff

No one got any advice?

You can't add any more fish.

Danios should have twice the size tank you have given them as they are very active fish and require the horizontal swimming space a larger tank offers them.

In a tank this size you should have opted for something like Celestial Pearl Danios with some shrimp.

Unfortunately 46L doesnt give you much scope other than nano fish species.

Jon

jondamon said:
You can't add any more fish.

Danios should have twice the size tank you have given them as they are very active fish and require the horizontal swimming space a larger tank offers them.

In a tank this size you should have opted for something like Celestial Pearl Danios with some shrimp.

Unfortunately 46L doesnt give you much scope other than nano fish species.

Jon

Cheers my friend, I was going to put in a few neon tetras, then just a couple of bottom feeders then that's it, i took the advice off my Aquatics shop,they said 16 fish max, but only have Danios and tetras, plus two bottom feeders , do you disagree Jon?

Yes. I know that wasn't aimed at me but 16 oscars wouldn't work 16 CPDs would.

emerald76 said:
Yes. I know that wasn't aimed at me but 16 oscars wouldn't work 16 CPDs would.

Hi, what do yo mean by that, you have to bare with me as I'm new to the indoor fish scene, I like to hear people's views,

Jeffmiester said:
Hi, what do yo mean by that, you have to bare with me as I'm new to the indoor fish scene, I like to hear people's views,

Sixteen fish could be any fish. Sixteen oscars wouldn't fit in a ten gal, but sixteen celestial pearl danios would

Jeffmiester said:

Gotcha.... There a different species of Danios, why can I not mix tetras in there, in you view

Jeffmiester said:
Gotcha.... There a different species of Danios, why can I not mix tetras in there, in you view

You could have eight ember tetras and eight CPDs

Tetras and danios are active swimmers and need a larger capacity tank for them to be comfortable.

Nano species are fine in small tanks. Celestial pearl danios for eg.

16 fish in a 46 litre tank is pushing it. However you could have 8 fish 4 snails and 4 shrimp as long as the fish are a species that are fine with a 10gallon tank.

The reason there are tank size minimums for certain fish is so that you can see their true behaviour. This is also true of fish that need to be in groups. Some fish like being in schools of at least 5 in order to show their true behaviour.

Jon

You also have to take into account their final adult size.

A standard Zebra Danio is generally bought from your LFS at about 1/2" but can grow upto 2.5" and lives for around 5yrs. So you have to account for extra bioload from a bigger fish in the long run.

Could you imagine your 46L with 6 nearly 3" long fish in it?

Jon

Back
Top Bottom