foggy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnaR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I was away over the long weekend, and put in one of those 7-day fish feeder block things. Well, that was a total waste, it was all slimed up when I returned, didn't look like it released any food at all. The water had a murky look to it. So I removed the useless block, did a 25% water change, and fed the little guys a couple of times since we've been home (they were hungry! i felt awful). It has been approx 6 hours since the water change, so I'm just wondering why the water still looks a little foggy, and whether it will clear up on its own. I also put in a new filter. ITs not super foggy, just a little, and it makes me wonder if its unpleasant in there for them. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am sure it is due the feeding block thing. Do you have a test kit? I think your fish are probably fine, but I would make sure you are testing no ammonia/nitrites. Do a few more water changes through this week, and really vac that gravel.

I'm glad you posted this as I was going to use one of those 7 day feeders. Now I will just have my son feed the fish, and I will drill it into his head to not overfeed! Thanks for the heads up.

Those feeder blocks are a total waste of money. I'd invest in an automatic fish feeder for the next time you go out of town for longer than 5 days. Fish can go without food for about 5 to 6 days without any ill effects.

Thanks Meredith and Fishyfanatic, really appreciate your advice. I just wish I had asked for it first :cry: Glad I could help prevent you from making the same mistake Zagz!

Fishyfanatic, what's the automatic feeder all about? Sounds interesting, I'll look for one next time I'm at the pet store. Any recommendations on a good brand?

There are several different types of auto feeders and range from $10 to $200. The more complex, the more expensive. You could get a cheap $10 feeder that runs off of batters and twice a day it drops flake food into the tank. It won't be a substantial amount of flake, but it's better than nothing. We can't use them in the 150 gal tank just because of the sheer amount of fish and the numbers of feeders it would take. But I use it on the 10 gal and 29 gal when going out of town for a week.

Some people like them, some don't. I don't recall the brands that I have tried but I know one was a piece of Junk. Tony Starks (AA Member) uses them on his tank as the sole feeding. You may want to PM him and see which brand he is using and see how he likes it.

These feeder blocks are held together with plaster of paris, and are the cause of many a problem tank. You might want to do maybe a 10% water change daily, leaving the filter alone, and see if that helps, though the cloudiness will likely resolve on its own.

That said, the first thing to do is test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and make sure those readings do not indicate a mini-cycle.

Thanks everyone, all's good, water is clear now after several water changes, fish are happy.

ps. Plaster of Paris???????????????????????????? OMG! 8O 8O 8O

Those feeder blocks are not your friend. Never once have I read anything from anyone who likes them. If you're going to be away for more than a week and you are able to get someone else to feed your fish, invest in one or two of those 7-day pill organizers. Put the desired amount of food per day in each section, to avoid over-feeding and double feeding. And put less than the normal amount that you usually give. Less food = less waste = cleaner water = fewer problems from going too long without a water change.

you know, those automatic feeders are only $10 bucks at walmart, ive never used them, but was thinking of getting one for when i go on vacation, but we have a roommate now and he'll be able to take care of it for me.

Back
Top Bottom