Follow-up on my cycling / Bio Spira problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestrope

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had posted a few days ago about starting my new tank with a full load of fish and Bio Spira but am now seeing bacteria hovering around 1 ppm. I did a 25 % pwc on Monday and as of late Tuesday the ammonia was back up to 1 again and no nitrites. I called around to several other LFC's (in Denver) and no one carries Bio Spira.

A friend of mine has a salt and freshwater tank. She uses a tank service so I asked her to ask them if they had any Bio Spira. They don't but they suggested that she give me a gallon of her freshwater from her tank and that it would accomplish the same thing as Bio Spira. I have heard of squeezing the filters from other aquariums but will just taking a gallon of other cycled water help or at least shorten my cycle. I am assuming also her water is disease free.

I agree, I don't think the water would benefit much if at all. Some filter media or even gravel would work. Or even a tank decoration.

I've used a tank decoration and filter media with no problems. You don't need a lot - the bacteria colonies can double in size in just over a day, assuming the chemical levels are correct (food for 'em) and there is media for them to live on.

I’ve always had a mini cycle lasting a week or two using Bio Spira. It speeds it up but won’t eliminate it completely. Also they make Bio Spira for FW & SW, are you sure you used the right kind?

The water itself has very little bacteria in it and 1 gal would be insufficient to make any noticeable gains in bacteria growth. Better to get a used filter pad. Doing the pwc will also possibly prolong the cycle but is necessary for the health of the fish.

Personally I would get a cheap 10-20 gal Rubbermaid (about $5) & a PH, put the fish in that & do 25% pwc every other day to keep them healthy and let your main tank fully cycle with no pwc.

Back
Top Bottom