Following my cycle for beginners.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've not used bottled bacteria, but I do know it doesn't need to be "fed" to stay alive. Deprived if ammonia and oxygen, BB does not die, it goes dormant and revives when those are present again.

In a tank or filter, dormant BB is at risk from anaerobic bacteria that will attack it, that's why a clogged up filter is such a bad thing.

But in the (presumably) sterile conditions in a bottle, the BB can survive, dormant, for long periods of time with no ammonia or oxygen.

I've not used bottled bacteria, but I do know it doesn't need to be "fed" to stay alive. Deprived if ammonia and oxygen, BB does not die, it goes dormant and revives when those are present again.

In a tank or filter, dormant BB is at risk from anaerobic bacteria that will attack it, that's why a clogged up filter is such a bad thing.

But in the (presumably) sterile conditions in a bottle, the BB can survive, dormant, for long periods of time with no ammonia or oxygen.

Man you're knowledgeable haha. So then BB "die off" in a tank due to decreased bioload is a myth?

Man you're knowledgeable haha. So then BB "die off" in a tank due to decreased bioload is a myth?

Not quite.
In a tank, BB that goes dormant are at risk from anaerobic bacteria. So it could indeed die off, if it goes dormant as a result of low bioload, and is then eaten by anaerobic bacteria.

Day 14:

Ammonia is clearly 1ppm and will dose to UNDER 4ppm today. No trites or trates yet. I just picked up Hydro Koralia Nano 240 to circulate the water and will install it this evening.

Edit: Good discussion in this thread. I like it.

Day 15: Ammonia 2ppm, no trites, no trates

Day 16: Ammonia 2ppm, no trites or trates

Day 17: Ammonia 2ppm, no trites or trates. I decided to add a bottle of Tetra Safestart in the evening to see what would happen. This was last night.

Day 18(today): Wake up this morning to find my ammonia dropped to .5ppm with no nitrites and 5ppm of nitrates. I'm not sure if the safestart did its job or if I was close to being cycled anyway. Because I don't want to lose these reading I am going to lfs to pick up a few fish to continue these better readings.

I know most would say to do a pwc but it specifically says not to do pwc's for 7 days due to the possibility of false ammonia readings and spikes.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I am very close to the end.

Day 18(today): Wake up this morning to find my ammonia dropped to .5ppm with no nitrites and 5ppm of nitrates. I'm not sure if the safestart did its job or if I was close to being cycled anyway. Because I don't want to lose these reading I am going to lfs to pick up a few fish to continue these better readings.

I know most would say to do a pwc but it specifically says not to do pwc's for 7 days due to the possibility of false ammonia readings and spikes.

If you're going to put fish in, water changes during the cycle become very important to the health of the fish. If ammonia and/or nitrites rise, a water change is the only way to ensure that your fish aren't adversely affected.

...also, a fish-in cycle takes longer. You have to keep the ammonia and nitrites low enough not to harm the fish, so the BB grows more slowly. Less food for them :)

Day 15: Ammonia 2ppm, no trites, no trates

Day 16: Ammonia 2ppm, no trites or trates

Day 17: Ammonia 2ppm, no trites or trates. I decided to add a bottle of Tetra Safestart in the evening to see what would happen. This was last night.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I am very close to the end.

If you are showing ammonia and are going tovput fish in then you need to do a water change regardless of what bottled bacteria will do.

Not quite.
In a tank, BB that goes dormant are at risk from anaerobic bacteria. So it could indeed die off, if it goes dormant as a result of low bioload, and is then eaten by anaerobic bacteria.

Anaerobic bacteria aren't something you will be able to find in a filter no matter how clogged it is. Also, the ability of the bacteria for dormancy periods are dependant on the type of bacteria. From what I understand is that there are two types of nitrifying bacteria. The one that is less suitable for bottles being the more efficient type of bacteria. If it were as cut and drys as you suggest then the success rate of bottled bacteria would be far higher.

Anaerobic bacteria aren't something you will be able to find in a filter no matter how clogged it is. Also, the ability of the bacteria for dormancy periods are dependant on the type of bacteria. From what I understand is that there are two types of nitrifying bacteria. The one that is less suitable for bottles being the more efficient type of bacteria. If it were as cut and drys as you suggest then the success rate of bottled bacteria would be far higher.

You are quite right. I should have said heterotrophic, not anaerobic.

Day 19:

I went ahead and added three zebra danios and as of this morning the ammonia is now .25ppm , 0 nitrites and the nitrates are between 5 and 10ppm. PH is a steady 7.2 and the water temp is 76 degrees.

If I still get a reading of .25ppm ammonia tomorrow, I will do a pwc to lower it even more.

This is by far the most helpful thread I have read so far! Thanks for taking the time to do this for us all on here that are beginners. :)

I have an evening update for today.

I did a 30% pwc and there seems to be just a slight trace of ammonia after the change. We will still call it .25ppm only because there is still ammonia.

The fish seemed to get acclimated very quickly and enjoying the tank. They have become confident enough to stop schooling and explore all the hiding places I set up.

I fed them a few Omega One pellets and wouldn't touch them floating but as soon as they were pushed under by the filter wash there was a feeding frenzy.

I got the ok to return the Danios in a couple of weeks if I choose.

These are my possible future stockings:

4-Blue Cobra Guppies
6-Cory Cats(Emerald)
2-Dwarf Gouramis
2-Rams
2-Amano Shrimp

or

3-American Flagfish
6-Cory Cats(Emerald)
2-Dwarf Gouramis
2-Rams
2-Amano Shrimp

Tank Cycling

Hi everyone! I am just curious after reading this thread why no one has used a bottle of bacteria from your lfs....my tank was cycled in 48 hours....I just put live sand....live rock...and filled the tank with salt water....turned on the pumps....and then dumped the bottle of bacteria in.....let it run for 48 hours...the tested my water...ammonia was 0...nitrates .5 ppm....nitrites 0....started to stock my tank...slowly....and all are still with me and thriving. I would be interested in hearing anyones thoughts on this.....especially those of you who sound anxious to get through the cycling process....:D

Hi everyone! I am just curious after reading this thread why no one has used a bottle of bacteria from your lfs....my tank was cycled in 48 hours....I just put live sand....live rock...and filled the tank with salt water....turned on the pumps....and then dumped the bottle of bacteria in.....let it run for 48 hours...the tested my water...ammonia was 0...nitrates .5 ppm....nitrites 0....started to stock my tank...slowly....and all are still with me and thriving. I would be interested in hearing anyones thoughts on this.....especially those of you who sound anxious to get through the cycling process....:D

...you've noticed that this is for a freshwater tank, right? :)

People do have success with bottled bacteria, but it does vary. Some do, some dont. I think this might be because of bad handling of the produce before it gets to the shop? Maybe the bacteria is harmed? No idea.

Hi.....I am sorry was trying to post under saltwater aquarium!! LOL! Thanks!!!

Well I'm happy to say my tank has been fully cycled as of 12/1.

My current readings have been 0ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates hover between 5 and 10ppm.

I firmly believe the Tetra Safestart really sped things up.

I traded in the danios in for 6 serpae tetra which are doing great. I also picked up a pair of peacock gudgeons that get along well with the tetra. The gudgeons are only 1" long right now.

My only issue I have is the female gudgeons belly has got a bit bigger and is translucent. Since they are juvenile my gut is telling me shes not pregnant. It almost looks like she swallowed mercury. Thats how silver her tummy is through the skin.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom