For my 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok :)

Now about the raw shrimp, this may sound a stupid but where do I get the raw shrimp from? a LFS, the Supermarket (those shrimps you find in packages to eat, I don't eat shrimp), etc..?
And I assume you put this in a big with holes in it?
Any clear plastic bag?

Also how long should I keep the shrimp in there for?

Thanks

On average I find that most cycles take about 6 weeks unless you add some seed material (filter material, gravel, decor) from a healthy established aquarium or BioSpira that has been handled properly.

Using pure ammonia is a great way to have more control over the situation with exact dosing and no messing cleanup at the end. Raw shrimp is better for people that can't find pure ammonia in their area or don't want to mess with daily dosing. If you want to put the shrimp in something for easier clean up, I'd recommend a unused pantyhose (never washed or worn).

If you have an actual ammonia source then that cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom and means that the beneficial bacteria is multiplying very rapidly to try to catch up with the food source. The water will clear once the beneficial bacteria starts to catch up and settles on all the surfaces of the aquarium and in the filter.

Hi Sean

Don't dispair... It's not easy when you're new to the hobby and the LFSs can lead you astray. Hake heart that you have done the right thing and come to the right place. Follow the advice of the people here, and it will be fine. Its difficulty to show patience even as an adult during the cycle, IO can't imagine what its like having a nagging little one around who ca't wait to see fish...

As it happens, I documented my test results each day during the cycle. I cycled the tank using raw shrimp because we can't get the high-grade ammonia here in Australia. Have a brief look because it will give you an idea of what to expect.

You can imagine the look on the shop assistance face when I went and asked for 2 raw shrimp. (I'm allergic to shellfish so it was pointless buying more). They ended up giving them to me for free.

Fishless Cycling Test Results

At the end of 3 1/2 - 4 weeks, the raw shrimp has pretty much disintegrated into nothing and in my case, I needed to add more for the last week. Its not very hard to get out of the tank. I used a rubber glove (purchased new and never been used for cleaning) and just scooped it up and threw the remainder away and at the same time (within the hour) stocked my tank. Although, I can see how the stocking idea has merit.

And don't do ANY water changes until your fishless cycle has finished, regardless of whether you use shrimp or ammonia. You want to iniitally get the ammonia level up to around 4ppm. For a 2ft tank, I used two and a half whole raw shrimps and that have me 4ppm exactly. You can use that as your rough guide.

Keep us updated, and welcome to AA! :)

Like Sharon said, don't do water changes until the tank cycles.

I like the idea of using pure ammonia better than the raw shrimp but that's just me.

Did I mention don't do any water changes until the tank cycles?

In case you missed it, cloudy water is a GOOD thing!

:) :)

Well thanks for all your help! Very appreciated. :)
My cloudy water is now gone since Friday. Yay!

BUT now my Brother-in-law bought 2 goldfishs for my kids without asking if it was ok, I was kind of wondering why he was so interested in my aquarium :(
There goes my plan for my community aquarium, I was about to wait another week to make sure all is well.
Yes I'm pissed, but there's nothing I can do. Both goldfishs are doing well, eating, swimming good. But once they grow, I don't have anywhere to put them and I can't buy a bigger tank. Can't afford it and I don't have room. :(

I don't want to sound heartless but once they die, I'm getting my community and I'll be warning everybody too!!!

Again thanks for all your help ;)

Just take them back to an LFS and exchange them for fish you do want. Have a talk with your BIL explaining to him why you had to return the fish, and ask in the future that he consults with you before buying fish for your aquarium, or better yet gives you a gift certificate to pick out your own.

I second what Joy said. You may temporarily offend your brother, and you might have to do some fast talking with your kids, but better that than being stuck with pets that are unsuitable for your environemnt. You wouldn't keep a puppy if you were living in a small apartment on the 4th floor that you know will turn into a large dog ....

Same thing IMO.

Take the goldfish to your LFS, explain what happened and I'm sure that they will take them.

Ditto on tanking the goldfish to the LFS and being upfront with your BIL Tell your kids the truth, even one goldfish grows way to big for a 10 gallon tanks. If they're old enough you can tell them that if fish don't grow as big as they should their insides keep growing and it kills them.

BUT now my Brother-in-law bought 2 goldfishs for my kids without asking if it was ok

My aunt got my girlfriend two goldfish in a one gallon bowl for Christmas. I kept them at my house for the first several weeks, and having them led me to do research on the aquarium hobby, which led me here. She also apparently knows nothing about them (she got two goldfish in a one gallon bowl for her kids, too... unfortunate, because there's no way they're still alive)

So, we start out very similarly. My girlfriend and I don't get to set up our tank, though, until we get moved out of the dorms this semester and into an apartment over the summer. Waiting is killing me!

Back
Top Bottom