Forget this! I'm done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I officially give up. I have been cycling for two whole months and seen NO progress. And every time I do, something sends me back to square one. Well, I give up. I'm going to get rid of the bacteria and add my fish, and keep it from fish cycling (which should be easy). So thank you everyone for the help you've given me while I was cycling but your assistance has proved useless. So soon I will officially end my cycle.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your cycle. :( What size tank and is it for a betta only? If you want to try a fish-in cycle you certainly can although please don't get rid of your filter media! You probably have some good bacteria growth already and it might be enough to sustain a betta or small fish (not sure what size tank or what fish you're planning, sorry), so why start from square one if you already have some bacteria there to help things along. :)

Don't give up. Try the fish in cycle. That way you can't forget. You can also put in a shrimp from your grocery store for a steady supply of ammonia. If you chose the fish in cycle you need to test every day and do PWCs as necessary. Everybody has problems.

No you guys don't get it. I'm not switching to a fish cycle; I'm not cycling at all. If I take out the filters, will ammonia still grow or at least be slowed? That would help a lot if I'm going to prevent an accidental cycle. But if it won't change, I'd rather keep it there.

No you guys don't get it. I'm not switching to a fish cycle; I'm not cycling at all. If I take out the filters, will ammonia still grow or at least be slowed? That would help a lot if I'm going to prevent an accidental cycle. But if it won't change, I'd rather keep it there.

go for the fish in cylce. it is pretty simple - read the stickies for "i already have fish".
keep your filters and everything you already have. do as many PWCs to get your ammonia and nitrites down low - .25ppm or lower is a good guide. then, go ahead and add your friend. then check water daily for ammonia and nitrites (you can check PH too just to make sure you are not crashing). then, simply do water changes to keep these numbers in check. you may hit points where you will have to do multiple water changes, but just hang in there!
I just finished (or almost finished) my 5 gallon fish in cycle. took me at least 2 months. you can read my thread. good luck!

Bettafanatic said:

So your not keeping fish? Why not? Or are you just saying there is no such thing as a cycle? Anyways fish in cycles are fine and easy. Are you sure your testing you water properly though?

Oh my god I'm not doing a fish cycle! I'm not cycling at all. Now can you answer my question and tell me if removing the filter will stop ammonia growth or not?

We're trying to understand what your plan is here, so please bear with us. Snapping at us will do you and your fish (if you have them and I can't say for sure) any good.

Are you keeping fish but planning on not having a filter? Is that it?

Oh my god I'm not doing a fish cycle! I'm not cycling at all. Now can you answer my question and tell me if removing the filter will stop ammonia growth or not?

not sure I am understanding you or not, but I think this is the answer you want. the filter is not growing ammonia. ammonia is fish waste. removing fish or quit adding ammonia will stop the rise in ammonia.

if you leave or take out your filter watever BB you have in your tank (more in the filter) will continue to convert whatever ammonia is in your tank until it is all gone. whenever all the ammonia is completely gone the BB will eventually starve and die off. leaving the filter in the tank will make this progression faster.

was that what you were looking for?

A cycle will happen no matter what. I think you just mean you aren't going to monitor the situation? Which is not a good idea and a good way to kill your fish. Your filter media does not grow ammonia. Ammonia comes from from your fish waste. If you have fish, you will "grow" ammonia. What you are trying to grow in your filter is ammonia eating bacteria. You absolutely cannot avoid cycling.

Amonia buildup comes from your fish and will kill them if not monitored. Please google the Nitrogen Cycle.

not sure I am understanding you or not, but I think this is the answer you want. the filter is not growing ammonia. ammonia is fish waste. removing fish or quit adding ammonia will stop the rise in ammonia.

if you leave or take out your filter watever BB you have in your tank (more in the filter) will continue to convert whatever ammonia is in your tank until it is all gone. whenever all the ammonia is completely gone the BB will eventually starve and die off. leaving the filter in the tank will make this progression faster.

was that what you were looking for?

This is spot on, fish produce ammonia. A tank cycles whether we like it or not, some people choose to cycle fishless for whatever reason, and some people don't, but either way as long as the tank is set up and there is fish in it, it will cycle eventually. It's a long process, and 8 weeks of cycling is a long time, but it is still not that uncommon.

I'd just look into the fish-in cycling guides if you want to put your fish in there, you don't have to fishless cycle to keep the fish safe and healthy.

Folks have already said where ammonia comes from. The only way to prevent a cycle as much as you can is to do daily or twice daily 100 percent changes, depending on the size of the tank. But if you miss one, your fish will suffer. I would keep the filter and the media, put your betta in and see what happens--the BB WILL grow to match the bioload put out by the fish. Just keep track of the water parameters and do a water change as needed when the ammonia and nitrite levels get too high (sure you know this, though :) ).

I'm kind of lost with this thread, OP what are you trying to do? Don't get frustrated stick with it, as either fish in or fish-less cycling and the process that goes with it is necessary. Take a breath and know that the community will help you with either method you choose but you have to be open to questions and advice. Good luck.

Hi set up your tank, leave for a week running,filters on and lights just during the day,add a few hardy fish,do a couple of small water changes in the first week,then leave one week then do another water change,after two weeks add a few more fish,and do weekly water changes of 20% then leave for another two weeks then add a few more fish. This was how i started and i done OK.
BUT i would urge patience and vigilance with the water changes and adding the fish. Does this answer your question?
Foot note :- Cycling a tank will always get your tank of to a better more stable start with less problems and a better place for your fishes!:fish1:

I think some posts are kinda confusing what the cycle is. The nitrogen cycle is an ongoing process in aquaria. What people refer to as fish-in or fishless cycles is actually the establishment of that process. It takes time for the bacteria to become established and multiply in sufficient numbers to process the waste being produced.

So just change as much of your water as possible, dechlorinate the new water, leave your filter alone and add your fish. If you've been doing it this long, you might already have enough bacteria in the filter to avoid a cycle. I might have missed the post of your parameters, so it's really hard to tell.

It sounds like you don't plan on doing any of the cycling steps anymore, so this will be your best chance. So the answer your looking for is ammonia will grow regardless of what you do with the filter, but leaving the filter in is the best way to slow it.

Bettafanatic said:
I officially give up. I have been cycling for two whole months and seen NO progress. And every time I do, something sends me back to square one. Well, I give up. I'm going to get rid of the bacteria and add my fish, and keep it from fish cycling (which should be easy). So thank you everyone for the help you've given me while I was cycling but your assistance has proved useless. So soon I will officially end my cycle.

This post makes no sense...if you removed all bacteria that will set your params back at 0... Which means uncycled tank...you say your just going to add your fish anyways to an uncycled tank ...call it what you want but that means your doing a fish in cycle...i have to wonder if you even bothered to listen to any of the "useless" (as you called it) advice..best of luck...sounds like with your methods the tank will fail and I doubt you will try your hand at aquariums much longer before giving up..

Bettafanatic said:

No! No, it will not. Fish produce ammonia. Leave the filter and add your fish.

If you are having that much trouble, I would strongly suggest adding several live plants to your tank, particularily apognetons, which grow very quickly. They will remove some of the ammonia and reduce the stress on your fish during your cycle. Your tank will cycle nomatter what you do, whether there are fish in it or not... Unless you take out everything and scrub it everyday, which would be even more work than just doing the cycle. If you aren't monitoring your cycle, you're really putting your fish in danger. They could become sick or die, and they certainly won't be happy swimming in ill-kept water. Letting them fend for themselves like that is sort of like letting your dog walk around with mange and worms and just waiting for it to get better on its own.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you want to just remove your filters entirely. If that's the case it's a poor choice. Filters help clean the water and provide a lot of surface space for the bacteria to grow on. Removing them won't do anything to help the ammonia situation; if you add fish, they'll excrete waste in the form of ammonia,. Without the correct bacteria the fish wll constantly be swimming in toxins. The tank may eventually cycle without filter media by establishing themselves on other surfaces of the tank (maybe, not entirely sure) but it won't do anything to help the ammonia situation until enough bacteria grow. Cycling simply means growing the correct bacteria in the appropriate amount to consume the ammonia your fish put out so that it isn't toxic to them and eventually converts it into nitrate which is less toxic (and is kept at safe levels through regular water changes). Not sure if this helped or if that's what you meant but that's what I understood from your reply.

Back
Top Bottom