Forgot the dechlorinator in an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was doing a partial water change in my established ~40 gallon tank and accidentally put about 3 gallons of untreated tap water in there. Did I just kill all my bacteria and will I have to cycle it all over again?

At the time the tank was about half full (20 gallons or so) and no fish in the tank. It was about a min or two before I realized I had dumped the water in there and then I quickly put dechlorinator in the tank.

I also did a water change yesterday. Would the dechlorinator still be working from last night? Or would it have dissipated already?

If it was only a couple minutes, you're fine IMO/E. I can tell you Prime is active up to 48hrs per Seachem.

I'd suggest the next time you add water/PWC is dose for the whole tank and not just for the water you're adding in.

If it was only a couple minutes, you're fine IMO/E. I can tell you Prime is active up to 48hrs per Seachem.

I'd suggest the next time you add water/PWC is dose for the whole tank and not just for the water you're adding in.

I use Kordon's Amquel+. Do you happen to know how long it stays in the water? Don't know if this helps: I usually put enough in each bucket of water to add up to the 40 gallons (maybe a little more?).

Thanks guys for the responses. Should I wait a few days and check my levels before adding the fish back into it just to be on the safe side?

Back
Top Bottom