Found a tank for sale...[Update...bought it!!!]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've stumbled upon a 90 gallon that's for sale near me. I have two questions, and am hoping that you fine folk can help me out.

1. The deal is:
- 90 gallon tank
- stand
- Fluval 404
- Emperor 280
- Ebo Jagr 250
- really nice coralife light set-up

The asking price is $500 Canadian (approx. $390 US)...is this a good deal?

2. Would 90 gallons be too much weight in a six floor apartment? It's a relatively new building (25 years or so), brick and concrete and would be against an outside wall.

So? Should I go for it? Here is a pic of the tank...the first aren't included, but can be purchased as well.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1245756

Not bad at all....did Mike mention a complete list of the livestock in that tank? (the discus alone are worth some serious coin, and if you don't want them, there is always the ASE auction to sell them off at).

Should be fine in your apartment, but remember that many landlords will require you to have insurance to cover potentrial water damage from such a large tank (same as you need for a waterbed).

Leave it to another Albertan to answer! :D

Toirtis, I was clear if the fish came with the tank or not. I would love them, but I couldn't figure it out... What did you think?

As for the apartment, I already had to get insurance to cover my other tanks...they wouldn't approve me without it!

Just the fact that it's set up and running should give some assurance Sara. I'd guess new in the US about $650-700. Sounds like a good deal to me.

What's he gonna do with the discus?

He's selling the discus too, I'm just not sure if there's any sort of package deal to be had. I've been pining away after discus for a long time, and this seems like a great opportunity...

Don't know much in the way of specifics re: the fish, though. I'm sure they're well-maintained, though...the guy who's selling him is active on the Alberta Aquarist board and I believe with his local aquarium club as well.

Believe me...I'd love to jump in the car right now :)

First I have to double check that my 90 gallon won't cause me to be evicted...I've got the insurance and everything, but that's one big tank!!! If that works it, then I hope it's mineminemine!!! :D:D :D

Ok, here is the final package...the fish were *not* included in the original price.

For $800 Canadian ($625 US)
- 90 gallon tank
- stand
- Fluval 404
- Emperor 280
- Ebo Jager 250
- really nice coralife light set-up
- 8 wild caught rummy nose tetras (originally cost $12 each)
- 6 discus (not sure what type...but apparently very hardy)
- about $200 worth of malaysian bogwood

So? Still a good deal? I can't believe I'm contemplating spending this much money on fish... 8O

Sara......put your sneakers on and run, don't walk to grab that. :D

Those discus alone look like they'd be around $60 each here. (Check my gallery) :wink:

Well, it's almost a done deal!!! I'm so excited...I can't believe that I might have a discus tank in a month's time!!!

Anyway, apparently *all* of the fish that are currently in the tank are included with this $800 deal, so here they are:

4 silver tip tetras
8 wild-caught rummies
4 black skirt tetras
6 orange mickey mouse platies
3 blue mickey mouse platies
2 flame tetras
6 khuli loaches
3 queen botia
1 rusty pleco
3 gold danios
6 discus

I likely won't be taking all of them as I'd like to make it somewhat of a biotope, and also want to be extra careful about the discus...but I'll probably take the discus (of course), all of the tetras except the black skirts and likely the queen botias as well.

:D :D :D

Great looking tank.. Congrats on getting close to getting it! Hope it works out for you.

Mooooose

man... you lucky people. i've been checking out the tanks around here and used set-ups around 55 gal, with hob pw's and standard lighting go for like 400-600 used.
i need to move

You might want to check the building code for how much weight per square foot the floors in your building can handle. A 90g tank is going to weigh close to 1000 lbs set up. Being on an outside load bearing wall will help increase floor strength.

If it does'nt get you evected. I'd say go for it. Thats and excellent deal.

Is one Ebo Jager 250 enough to warm a 90g Discuss tank????

Well, it was finalized this morning! I'm so excited!

The final list...for $800 Cdn ($625 USD):
- 90 Gallon Tank
- Stand (All-Glass brand)
- Fluval 404
- Emperor 280
- Ebo-Jager 250
- 4' (All Glass) light
- 8 wild-caught Rummynose Tetras
- 6 various Discus
- 6 Khuli Loaches
- 3 Queen Botia
- 4 Silver Tip Tetras
- All aquascaping, including ~$200 (Cdn) of Malaysian Bogwood

Also,
- 6 Gallon X-tall
- Aquaclear Mini
- All aquascaping

But now I have to figure out how to get it from Calgary to Edmonton, about a 2.5 hour drive. I'll probably start a separate thread on that later this week...

Thanks to everyone (especially BrianNY) for their help so far!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom