Found Ammonia for you fishless ammonia cyclers at Ace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember reading about how difficult it was to find a bottle of ammonia good enough for fishless cycling a month or two back. Since then, whenever I was in a store, I ducked down the cleaner Isle to see what they had. I have been to a local drug store, two walgreens, Jewel (local food store chain), Dominics (other local food store chain) and could only find name brand cleaners that had dyes, surfactants, perfumes, citrus, and other undesirable additives in it.

But today, I was in an Ace Hardware, and Ace has their own brand of ammonia cleaner that is clear, and contains 10% ammonium hydroxide. No ther ingredients are listed. It is billed as the economical janitor strenght cleaner, a quart for $1.69. Economical, probably because Ace is just filling it with ammonia and nothhing else to make it pretty or smell nice. Since Ace is a national chain, I figure it should be within reach of lots of people, so I thought I would let you know.

Thanks, TomK2. I can check the canadian hardware stores next time I am there. I am already doing the "fuzzy little prawn piece" cycle. As you know, I brought all my fish back to the lfs. He is holding them for me there.

FancyGuppyGuy said:
:) ive said that a few times ;) some ace stores do carry their own brand if your lucky!!

I thought I had read that somewhere!

I actually picked up a bottle. I am toying with the idea of buying a cheap 10 gal tank, a corner filter, and a heater and doing some ammonia experiments. Like a dose response study for the amount of ammonia that produces the quickest cycle time. Then use the cheap set up for a QT or breeding tank when I am done. This from a guy who is an avid fish cycler!

I know, I must have too much time on my hands!

Good to know...

I couldn't find any clear ammonia so I just went the shrimp method. Overall, Im happy with the shrimp method because you just "drop" and forget. With ammonia, you need to keep adding it periodically.

However, you have better "control" over the levels of ammonia if you use the clear ammonia method. With the shrimp method, you just have to make sure you don't add too many or else you risk stalling the cycle. That might mean having to do water changes if your levels go too high.

Yep, I found the same thing 6 weeks ago when I started cycling my 75. I was a big spender and paid the extra $.80 for the gallon. :wink: I found that I needed ~9 drops per gallon to get to 5 ppm.

Pure ammonia blocks? Um...there's no such thing. Well, technically there is, but the temperature would have to be around -108 *F before ammonia would "freeze" and form a block. So whatever your lfs, it is not "pure" ammonia blocks! :eek:

I would think that whatever that block is, it would be harder to regulate the ammonia levels than a liquid. Just my $0.02.

I use Kroger brand ammonia -found at Kroger (DUHHHHHHHHH :))
Very effective. In my experience adding plants speeds up cycling

If you're in the South, Publix also has their own brand of plain amonia. I am also in the process of cycling a 75 gallon lightly planted aquarium and had to use 10 drops per 10 gallons to get to 5ppm. :D

Back
Top Bottom