Found my old tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found an old 5 gallon tank I thought I had thrown out. :dance: Very cool.

I'm thinking this might make a good home for a pair of fish. Any suggestions on fish type and decorations for the type? I'd love to hear them.

I'm going to be setting up a 5g soon. I'm going to have RCS and 9 chili rasboras on mine. Planted, of course. Just an idea... chilis are awesome fish, you could do 10 easily.

What exactly is the deal with Betas anyway, How do these things breed if they can never be around another fish?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be putting RCS in the 20 gal I'm trying to cycle up now and fish of course. So I don't know, maybe though. :)

I just thought that since this was so small it might make a nice home for a breeding pair of some sort. Unfortunately I don't know very much about this stuff yet so it's hard for me to make up mind. :oops:

they can be around other fish,just 2 males or a male and a fish that looks like a male are big no-nos. to breed in aquaria,you place them together when the are both ready,let them spawn,and remove the female.

Id go with either one male or two females unless you want to get a divider and try 2 females and 1 male separated. And I wouldnt use to much for decor but it's up to you. I suggest betas because they have such horrible lives in those small cups and they are beautiful fish! I'd save em all if I could. Everyone save a betas life!!

Id go with either one male or two females unless you want to get a divider and try 2 females and 1 male separated. And I wouldnt use to much for decor but it's up to you. I suggest betas because they have such horrible lives in those small cups and they are beautiful fish! I'd save em all if I could. Everyone save a betas life!!
a 5 is only big enough for 1 betta and some inverts. if you want to keep multiple females,you need at least 6.

well I agree that Betas are beautiful but I really have hard time even looking at them in the stores because they are always alone. I want at least a pair of something, so they have company.

So if I did get a beta you guys think a very minimal set of decorations? Can you give me an example? Do they like just bare gavel and a little plant?

What do the shrimp like? I can see having a tank of just different kinds of shrimp and some snails.

How about a pair of wild Bettas? Betta rutilans and some of the other smaller species can be housed in pairs for life. Wild Bettas are very different than Betta splendens. The only downside is that they can be hard to find. Here is some more info:
The IBC Species Maintenance Program

Back
Top Bottom