Fourth aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my fourth aquarium. It is a (maybe) 50 gallon bowfront that was sitting on the side of the road with a free sign. It seems like a really nice tank, and we are now letting it sit with water in it to check for leaks. However, since it is my fourth one, there is no more space in my bedroom and we are going to put it in the living room, which means it has to be really nice. I am aiming for a freshwater community tank, on sort of a low budget. Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Congrats on your addiction! Haha.
Do you have something particular in mind? 50g gives a lot of options. For a peaceful community you could check out livebearers (swordtails, platys, guppies), rasboras, danios, tetras, angelfish, cories, gouramis...let us know what you like and we can make some suggestions!

I'm going to do an Amazon biotope tank. How does a heavily planted tank with tetras and cories sound? What are some good Amazonian plants?

Swords, hornwort, cabomba, vals, a. reineckii, bacopa australis, staurogyne repens.

Sent from my iPad using science

Altum angelfish are a BEAUTIFUL angel species from the Amazon but if you're looking for inexpensive that's probably a no lol.

I love biotope tanks! Good idea. Tetras and cories are always good choices in my opinion, especially in a larger tank since you can have bigger groups.
Edit: I have hatchetfish in mine too

An angelfish and a big school of neon tetras....and some cory's of course for the bottom!

Nils

Yes, definitely a big school of tetra! Cheap and cheerful, definitely good stock, plus there are many colour forms, that'll give you a lot of choice.

Also, reinforcing the Cory statement, you can't lose with a Cory shoal.

Maybe a Bristlenose to help out with the algae. 55 is plenty big enough.

That's it, hurry up and post some pics!
:D

Thank you for all the advice! I will definitely look at those plants and fish. What about invertebrates? I'm still trying to decide what species of tetras I want...

Also, while we are on the subject of biotopes, I would like to turn my 20 gallon zebra danio tank into an India biotope.

Introducing an angel last while it's still small will help with that. Mine doesn't bother the tetras (black neons). Snails should be okay for inverts as far as I know but I would be wary of shrimp

I think I'm going to get a Leopoldi angelfish, I've heard that they are the smallest type. Is that true?

For the Indian biotope you gotta get some Indian glass fish!

Maybe some Indian dwarf puffers too but not sure how well those would work with the glass fish. Mine did but that was just luck lol.

Would zebra danios, Indian glassy fish, and a pair of dwarf gouramis do okay in a planted 20 gallon?

Sorry for chirpin in so late... If you are looking for some nice tetras.. Look at Congo tetras...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry for chirpin in so late... If you are looking for some nice tetras.. Look at Congo tetras...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I really like Congo tetras, but as I'm making a biotope, I can only have South American tetras. But thanks anyway!

1 Bristlenose Pleco
7 Cories
Amazon Sword
Hornwort
Cabomba
Vallisneria
Alternanthera Reineckii
Bacopa Australis
Staurogyne Repens
1-2 Leopoldi Angelfish
7 Bloodfin Tetras
7 Black Neon Tetras
7 Lemon Tetras

How does this sound? I know the Leopoldi angelfish is the smallest type, but would it still be large enough to eat the tetras?

Back
Top Bottom