Freshwater flounder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReelStudent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i am looking to get around a 30-40g tank locally and wantto make it a brackish set up for these guys. I will have no more than two on a sandy bottom with other structures. My question is what equipment do I need for a brackish set up as far as kind of lights filter etc. There are some emperor 4000s for sale locally, would that be enough filtration? Also, would I need an air stone or anything else? I'm a bit new to aquariums but not fish, I am an avid fisherman and marine biology student and just want to have a couple freshwater founder. Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: I know I will need a thermometer and hydrometer, I'm more asking about for the tank itself. Thanks guys!

We're talking Achirus Lineatus, right?

Okay, well, these are fairly sedentary fish AFAIK... so to be completely honest with you they need a 40G breeder at absolute minimum. Something with 18" front-to-back. These fish can reach 1 foot long so unless you are starting with juveniles, 40G breeder is the minimum. 3x length end-to-end, 1.5x front-to-back, is really just not a great existence IMO, but since flounders aren't known for their activity I guess it can suffice.

As for filtration... are we talking Emperor 400, or Emperor 4,000? The 4,000 would be overkill, the 400 would be okay. Bio-Wheels provide good bio-filtration but poor mechanical filtration compared to an AquaClear. I have also heard that they jam/break often when used with sand, which the flounders would likely kick up. You would definitely want to install a pre-filter.

You don't need to have an airstone unless you want one. You may need a heater depending on your location, as these are classified as tropicals.

All told, these are rarely-kept fish (I've never seen a flounder set-up) and if you can find a source, they will most likely be wild-caught. For that reason, I suggest a slow and careful drip acclimation, and a ready supply of live foods. It will be quite a while if you do manage to train them to eat flake. Fortunately its dietary needs don't seem too difficult (worms, crustaceans, and small fish, according to one site).

Obviously you need a cycled tank (ammonia nitrite nitrate in check and well understood), and dechlorinator as well. I am not quite sure how much you know so I hope that didn't offend ;)

Best of luck, and if you set this up, you just HAVE to post pics. :p

I would suggest some driftwood and fake plants for aesthetics.

The flounder I'm talkin about is the Brachirus panoides, "freshwater sole". They get up to about 5 inches and I figures i could have around two, no more than 3 is around a 30 brackish set up. Thank you for the info though, very helpfull. Anyone know anything about toungfish??

Back
Top Bottom