Freshwater Ray Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whalekid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been in the brain storming phase of a freshwater stingray tank for a while now, but I can't decide on the best way to go about constructing the tank the way I wild like it done. Right now I'm leaning towards is a build similar to that of this tank http://youtu.be/OtVt0xRW-bI
Instead of having four glass walls there would just be one viewing panel at the deepest point of the indoor "pond." Do you think this system will be cost effective/ a good choice for the species. The tank would have two areas one being larger than the other and the two would be separated by a gate/ divider of some sort in case there is a problem with aggression among the Rays. The deepest part of the "pond" would be around 4 feet deep with the average depth being around 2 feet. What would be the best way to filter this system of it ends up being around 700 gallons? What is the best way to prevent evaporation when the tank isn't in view? What are suitable tank mates for the Rays? Is it possible to file down the barb of freshwater Rays to make them safe like saltwater Rays in petting pools in public aquariums and marine parks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also do they make underwater lights for ponds small enough to be practical for this system?

My lfs keeps rays. They've had one girl for a long time. Yes their barbs grow back yearly they told me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He literally answers most your questions in the video you posted. Filtration, evaporation, etc. As for tank mates, rays will eat about anything that will fit in its mouth while hunting at night.

Jesse

Well I mean I have obviously watched the video, but that doesn't mean that is the ideal filtration for a similar system.

My lfs keeps rays. They've had one girl for a long time. Yes their barbs grow back yearly they told me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do they file/ remove them? I have read that they loose them naturally every so often and sometimes they are found in the sand while cleaning and will still cut you.

No the store does not file or remove them but yes they she'd yearly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

No the store does not file or remove them but yes they she'd yearly.

Ok thanks. I wonder how aquariums do that. I'm not sure I would end up doing it but it would be a good option if I know I'm going to have curious little hands near the tank on a holiday or something.

I recently visited a aquarium store that had a beautiful ray black with white Dots It still had its bard! It's tank mates was a 4 foot fire ell (huge) 4 2 foot clownfish and a frontsa! They all seemed to live very peacfully! It was beautiful! I wish I could build a ray pond! There indoor Pond was about 14 feet long I think and 5 feet wide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445212034195.jpg
    1445212034195.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 52
I'm not sure what to make of any of that.

Edit: I'm also very interested in someone here running a ray pond! A 300 gallon is on my list as soon as I can get a concrete pad garage or basement.

Are you sure you mean clown fish? As in finding Nemo? Or do you mean clown loaches and that would be the biggest clown loaches ever I think

Clown loach sorry autocorrect! the one to the bottom right of the picture was about 2 foot ! Not even kidding! They looked old there color was blan looking

Well according to my drawings in the area of my basement it was going to go in it would be 15,000 gallons...I think I will make it 1.5 feet deep instead of 2 as well as remove the gates off area that would be 488 square feet and use that area for filtration. Dang. I can't afford this much space. Maybe I should cut it down to 5,000 gallons? I don't know much about DIY tank construction. About how thick should the walls be? Right now it now designed to have 5 inch thick walls, but then again I literally just measured that area grabbed some graph paper and made a design. Back to the drawing board.

Clown loach sorry autocorrect! the one to the bottom right of the picture was about 2 foot ! Not even kidding! They looked old there color was blan looking

That's a beauty. I have always wanted a big saltwater indoor pond, but the salt costs would be killer and the filtration for marine species would cost a lot of dough too. Not that I think this will be cheap lol.

Back
Top Bottom