Freshwater stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do apistogramma do with tetras and cories and community fish of the such?

They do perfectly fine. They are great community fish overall with the only sort of aggression coming out when they're breeding, but even then it's just a little chasing/defending their nest.

Okay thanks! I'll definitely have to look into them. Also, has anyone had any experience with using sand as substrate. I'd love to have a tank with sand, but have read some stuff about buildups of deadly anaerobic bacteria. Any experience or opinions?

Sand is fine.
Keep it less then 3 inches deep to avoid anerobic build up and keep MTS or other sand sifting creatures(fish or snails) to help stir it up.

i'm quite a beginner, i just wanted to say i'm sorry about your little goldie, and good luck! :)

Sand sifting fish suggestions? How do gobies do? And thank you Khloe, good luck to you too

Loaches loaches loaches! Where is Sinibotia? They are very underrated. Awesome fish and so much fun. Pangio Kuhli are perhaps the most commonly found. Most loaches prefer groups of 5+. Loaches.com is a great site if you want to be adventurous, many beautiful species you won't see in a normal LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay!! I might have to go for snails instead of loaches due to size restrictions. Don't want to cram the fish!

Okay!! I might have to go for snails instead of loaches due to size restrictions. Don't want to cram the fish!

Kuhli can be kept in a 10g I think your okay.

Oh awesome! And have you had any experience with keeping them with cories?

Nope but both species are harmless. No doubt in my mind they would be perfect together

Caleb

That's great! I'll have to reconsider my options now

Kuhli can be kept in a 10g I think your okay.

With a group, I wouldn't keep them in a 10 gallon. They like to be in groups of 6 or more. I'd keep a group like that in a 20 gallon, minimum.

With a group, I wouldn't keep them in a 10 gallon. They like to be in groups of 6 or more. I'd keep a group like that in a 20 gallon, minimum.

Well I'm going to set up a 29 gallon with sand and live plants. The current options I'm considering are:
-2 apistogramma OR 2 Bolivian rams
-6 tetra (possibly cardinal or black phantom)
-Some combination of cories and/or loaches

Suggestions or opinions?...What kind of loach would do well in this community?

I would stay away from the cardinals and deep bodied tertras with the bolivains.
The cards due to temps(they are like GBR 82 +).
Deep bodied/skirt tetras due to similar shaped body to ram.
Who knows who would pick on who but they are closely shaped enough IMO.(conspecific):confused:
Dwarf cories to achieve proper size school,get more then anyone says!:cool:
They are so much better with their own!(y)
Cories count as sand sifters to me,but do not compare with many loaches(they are voracious in most cases!):eek:
I keep both cories and loaches in my dt .:dance:
We need sinibotia to recommend proper loach for tank.:popcorn:
I have 11 clowns in my 180!(10-15 years old!):lol:

I like that setup!! And coralbandit, what fish do you suggest then? Since the cardinals and black phantoms won't work well...Also, how do you ensure cories and loaches are eating enough?

I like that setup!! And coralbandit, what fish do you suggest then? Since the cardinals and black phantoms won't work well...Also, how do you ensure cories and loaches are eating enough?

I've found Hikari bottom feeder pellets to work really well. My cories and baby dojo love them.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom