Friend with New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a friend that has just setup a new 29gal FW Aquarium about 5 days old. She has planted the tank and fully stocked the tank (Clown Loaches, Cats, some Gold fish, and who knows what else). I asked her if she was not worried about an ammonia spike and the new tank syndrome. She said that all the fish look good and the more plants she adds the happier the fish seem. I asked her if she had tested her ammoina level and she siad no that they all seem happy. I dont even think she has a test kit.

I'm just amazed at how someone would go about this. I've got a 55gal with 8 zebras that I've been working on cycling for 27 days now and doing PWC trying to keep my levels down and here she is not even worried about any of the levels. Her answer is they look happy and I've got well water.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.....

holy cow, she has something coming to her.....putting gold fish with clown loaches and catfish.....there are so many things would could "yell" at her about....but boy does she have something coming to her...unless a miracle happens and all goes well she is going to have to find out the hobby the hard way, you arent doing anything wrong...she just doesnt want to listen to you.....it takes a few days for the levels to spike and her tank will come crashing down on her...i just pity the fish :( like i said, she has it coming to her and you are doing the right thing and dont stop, she just has the problem :evil:

I agree she is asking for trouble. With that mix of fish, there is bound to be problems. As well as the goldfish will find her plants quite tasty. Shame for the fish but some just won't learn until something drastic happens. Keep on her, maybe some of it will sink in. Good luck.

When I first started keeping fish I am sure I did some things that were not "ideal". I think a lot of us probably started out doing things wrong, and we learned from our mistakes. But I didn't have some one there to say, "hey, do you know how to cycle your tank? Do you know what your fish need to be healthy?" Its too bad your friend will not listen to you. I hope for the sake of her fish that everything goes smoothly. And if they don't I hope she learns from her mistakes.

I would at least advise her to do lots of water changes. And if you have gravel or filter media you could give her that will help speed up her tanks cycle. (if your tank is already cycled..) As far as her fish choices......I would just let her know how dirty goldfish can be in a tank. And if she doesn't listen to your advice there is not much you can do, at least you tried. The real kicker is when people do everything wrong and their tank thrives.....I've seen it happen. But all I can say about that is you might be able to run blindly across a freeway without getting run over but your chances are much better if you cross carefully with your eyes open, LOL

But all I can say about that is you might be able to run blindly across a freeway without getting run over but your chances are much better if you cross carefully with your eyes open

nicely put talloulou :D

Well its not like I'm an expert at this by anyway shape or form. I've been at this for about 6 weeks now and I've learned alot in 6 weeks. I first thought that you get a tank put a filter and heater on it then go buy your fish. Well our first trip to the LFS the sales person told me about "New Tank Syndrome" this is the first time that I had ever heard that before but I left the LFS and went home (without fish) and started doing some research on the net about starting a aquarium. Yes I have made some mistakes along my short path, not everything I did went as I was told or as I thought it should have but I have learned how to cycle a tank and what it takes to do it.

My biggest regret that I have is that I have subjected 8 zebras to this stuff called "water" in my tank! So I have learned now how to do a fishless cycle and on my next setup thats what I will do.

So I was just trying to give her suggestions about how to improve the quality of life for her fish but it appears that she has it all under control for now. If my tank was far enough in the cycle process I'd give her some media but I dont think that I'm far enough along to help her out much.

Well I may be able to get a 29gal Aquarium in a few weeks very cheap :cry: at least it would go good with my 55gal.

Meredith said:
I think a lot of us probably started out doing things wrong, and we learned from our mistakes. But I didn't have some one there to say, "hey, do you know how to cycle your tank? Do you know what your fish need to be healthy?" Its too bad your friend will not listen to you. I hope for the sake of her fish that everything goes smoothly. And if they don't I hope she learns from her mistakes.

I hear you Meredith. A coworker of mine mentioned that his wife had collected her old 30 gallon and that they were going to set it up. I went through the whole spiel, teaching him about the cycle etc. Monday he comes in and tells me they bought everything they needed (filter, heater) and a half dozen fish!! Oh well, I tried. Poor fishies! :(

Bhunsucker. Do what I am. Now that my coworker went and broke all the rules, I told him that I would help him however I can. I even offered to test his water for him. He brings in the water, I bring in my test kit.

Do what I am. Now that my coworker went and broke all the rules, I told him that I would help him however I can. I even offered to test his water for him. He brings in the water, I bring in my test kit.

WooHoo, that is a great idea I will offer that to her. Good Idea!!

Milan said:
I've heard people asking why do they need to do PWC when they have a good filtration :2gunfire:

No amount of filtration can compare with fresh water, IMO. You can't change the water often enough. My fishies love water changes. I have heard people claim that you can stress fish with too many water changes or too much but this just has not been my experience. I have had no sickness, no losses, and extremely colorful, active, spawning fish since I started doing water changes more. I now do 50% biweekly change in my 10 gallon and a 30% biweekly change in my 55 gallon. And if I had time I'd do more, LOL that's how much I believe in water changes.

Back
Top Bottom