friends are awesome :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zarmalar

Aquarium Advice Freak
My really great friend gave me a 30 gal today with heater/filter/ light... Everything but gravel and more fish. So I cleaned it out really well with vinegar because there was a ton of algea. Rinsed it out really good. Got some new gravel and got the filter together. It's a aquaclear 50.
My question is.... I have a 10 gal that's like a month old with 3 zebra danios in it. So because the tank is so new is it worth running that filter in the new tank or what should I do? My ZD are still in the 10 gal and undisturbed.

I'm so excited!

Is the tank cycled? If not, I would just bypass all of that and start fresh or maybe you could get some extra filter gunk from your friend.

By the way, good for you! You have a great friend.

You can run the new filter in the 10 for 3-4 weeks then move it over to the 30 and stock really slowly. Or take some media from the ten and put it in the 30 to fishless or fish in cycle. Or move the ZD and the 10g filter to the 30 and run both filters. You would have to test and stay on top of PWC with all options.

No my 10 isn't cycled. that's why I ask if its even worth it. I may just see if I can have both up and running and do a fishless in the 30...as I'm sure pwc are a bit more to tackle with the 30 gal. And more weight to move around.

Oh, I wouldn't think so then. A fishless cycle in the 30g will be much easier, yes. The PWCs are longer and slightly more annoying, as you have to lug around ten gallons instead of three (I do 30%).

Also, I would suggest you move the danios over to the 30g when all is said and done. They will be much more happier in more swimming room, IMO.

Yes! That's why I jumped at taking the tank, I want a few more danios and other fish. Lol I told my friend " all my fish dreams can come true!"

haha. That's awesome. And I'm glad you had that in mind. When you put them in the 30g and up the school, they will be the funnest little fishies to watch.

Yea, my first thought was how silly 3 little danios will look in the tank. Then how much more room they will have. Can't wait to get it all together

zarmalar said:
No my 10 isn't cycled. that's why I ask if its even worth it. I may just see if I can have both up and running and do a fishless in the 30...as I'm sure pwc are a bit more to tackle with the 30 gal. And more weight to move around.

Oh in that case fishless :) Is your 10g close to finishing it's cycle? It might be worth while donating a tiny (not too much because you don't want to have the 10 out of whack) piece of media to the filter on the 30 while cycling. Every bit helps.

Back
Top Bottom