Frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I put my 2 aquatic frogs in my 1.5 gallon tank...I have 1 ghost shrimp and a neon tetra which are soon to be food. They keep going after everything. Will they try to eat something slightly bigger? Say like an algae eater? The one already ate a half dead tetra. they are not clawed frogs. They are pretty big.

I wouldn't put the algae eater in there. If it doesn't get eaten it will out grow the tank very quickly. I know they are only about an inch at the pet store, but they will grow like wildfire...

well a tetra all by himself must sure be lonely, but you can't add anymore in that size tank. Maybe you could start thinking about upgrading to something bigger like a 10g or more ;) then you could have a whole school of about 7+ tetras with the frogs also, they'd probably be less likely to get eaten. What are you feeding them (the frogs) as of now?

I'm feeding them tadpole bites. They are frog o sphere frogs... I thought I'd give them more room.

They are African Dwarf Clawed Frogs. I really suggest getting a larger tank. You should check out the book "Reptiles and Amphibians for Dummies" It's a good book and will teach you the basics of keeping amphibians.

They are African Dwarf Clawed Frogs. I really suggest getting a larger tank. You should check out the book "Reptiles and Amphibians for Dummies" It's a good book and will teach you the basics of keeping amphibians.

+1 also you can do some good research online, but maybe see if your local library has that book. Not sure how good those tadpole bites are but I think as adults they'll mostly eat bloodworms (usually the frozen kind) although someone else should probably clarify on that.

They are not the clawed frogs... They have web feet...eyes on the side.

here are some pics...
img_1141362_0_fc5b0d1eb8a19cdb6aefe8fa51f8b057.jpg

img_1141362_1_1ab853c25eac7faf7fc13a360e567f52.jpg

African dwarf clawed frogs do have webbed feet and eyes on the side. I think the non dwarves have eyes on top but I'm not for sure. African clawed and African dwarf frogs are usually the only fully aquatic frogs kept in home aquariums.

I hate those Frog-o-spheres! they are so cruel. Good for you for getting them out of that death trap! You'r right, they are ADF's because that is the type of frog that comes with those things. As Aquarium1 said, you should probably get a bigger tank. Optimally, they should have 2 gal per frog because of the amount of waste that they produce and also so they have some room to swim. I wouldn't add anything else to that tank, it is too small.

The HBH Frog and Tadpole bites are good if they eat them, but I would supplement with frozen (not freeze dried) bloodworms as well.

I keep 5 ADF's in a 23 gal flatback hex tank with 6 serpae tetras and a platy (yes, this tank is overstocked! But it is also overfiltered). I hand-feed them the frog bites every other day and blood worms on the other days with one day of fasting every week. I've been keeping frogs for a couple of years now and I've never had any that went after my fish, except at feeding time when they fight off the tetras!

yea ill probably get a slightly larger tank...the frogs are snapping at the tetra and the ghost shrimp...and it ate one of the tetras..already. I got the tank for the frogs anyway.

I might get a 5 gallon..I dont think it'll fit on that cabinet...maybe a 3 gallon.

Good idea. Maybe if they are in a larger tank they won't be so "snappish". Try to get the largest tank that you can. Bigger is always better. Maybe you can check on Craigslist and find a larger tank with a stand for cheap!

wallymart has a 5 gallon set up for $29 shipped..might get that a get a new cabinet.

African dwarf clawed frogs do have webbed feet and eyes on the side. I think the non dwarves have eyes on top but I'm not for sure. African clawed and African dwarf frogs are usually the only fully aquatic frogs kept in home aquariums.

African clawed frogs have eyes on the top of their heads and their front feet are NOT webbed. They use those for shoveling food in their mouths. If your frogs have nonwebbed front feet and small claws on their back feet then they are definitely going to grow too big for that tank.

I'm not completely sure because I can't really tell in the picture, but they look like baby clawed frogs. I have two full grown clawed frogs in my 55g

African clawed frogs have eyes on the top of their heads and their front feet are NOT webbed. They use those for shoveling food in their mouths. If your frogs have nonwebbed front feet and small claws on their back feet then they are definitely going to grow too big for that tank.

ahh then isn't there a good chance if they don't have those, that they aren't fully aquatic frogs?

Clawed frogs can live out of water, but not for long. They're known to travel from one body of water to another. Not to mention they breed like guppies if given the right conditions. They're actually illegal to own in some states of the US because they're taking over ponds and eating so much of the creatures..I haven't know dwarf frogs to ever lunge after prey or even chase anything period. Most of the time they like to hide.

Clawed frogs can live out of water, but not for long. They're known to travel from one body of water to another. Not to mention they breed like guppies if given the right conditions. They're actually illegal to own in some states of the US because they're taking over ponds and eating so much of the creatures..I haven't know dwarf frogs to ever lunge after prey or even chase anything period. Most of the time they like to hide.

I meant if they aren't clawed or dwarf clawed :p lol

Back
Top Bottom