Frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bremadie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay I just need to vent and get some words of encouragement.

I bought my tank about eight weeks ago from Wal-Mart, set it up and five days later bought me some fishes (nearly $100 dollars Canadian). The closets lfs is in Canada. So I thought I bought two guppies, two swordtails, and a pleco. But when I noticed how annoying my mail swordtail was I thought I would get him another lady so I bought anther swordtail, a nice white one. (I had MANY of these fish when I was younger, so I was not new to fish) come to find out the swordtails are salfin black mollies and apparently they are not all that tough they have ICH. So now I have one swordtail, two mollies, now ten guppies (two adults and eight fry) and a growing pleco.

Soon I got a bad case of ICH, which I kind of expected because these are my cycling fish. I am still treating for this bad case of ICH six weeks later! My NO2 and NO3 levels are now through the roof! I learned it was not good to do too many water changes while treating ICH so I cut back on them and watched the nitrite levels rise. The fish became breathless and lethargic. I added salt and raised the temp and snunk in some very small water changes. (which I never did when I had fish before and never had any problems with them)

All looked good. It has been about four weeks and they looked better so I lowed the temp two degrees and did 50% water change and about an hour later I noticed my not pregnant guppy biting at the now swollen and redden eyes of the big baby eating swordtail. I caught her and put her into my isolation net that had currently had two day old unidentifiable fry in it, but seeing and though she was the biggest baby eater I thought screw em I already have a ton of fish and let them out. She got really worse during the night and I soon found out she may have had popeye. But also during the night to my BIG surprise she had babies! I thought I might have bought her pregnant but she did not even have a dark spot yet. And she had about 8 babies and a few eggs on the bottom of the net. There were dead babies live babies, tailless babies, eggs, and hidden babies in my breading net. So at Wal-Mart I bought a small little tank for her and moved her into it and put a small heater in it and an oxygen stone. I got a list of drugs to get and did not find them at Wal-Mart so I raced to Canada where I bought these sick fish from (these aren’t the only sick fish I got from this place) to get some meds and come to find out they don’t have what I want either. The man that speaks the best English was not there and it was sort if hard to verbalize my needs to the cute young man who never heard of popeye (In four years of French you never learn the words to describe a sick fish! And how do you say the dieses popeye in French?).

Oh Yea the babies, well I sucked out with just the tube of my fish tank vacuumed the four dead ones and some how the eggs disappeared. And the babies that did live don’t quite swim right; they kind of remind me of tadpoles. Only about two or three of them swim normally. I am thinking that they may have troubles with their swim bladders and I have no idea of what to do with them!

Now my tank is all green and the meds smell kinda funny. My NO2 and NO3 levels are now coming down and one of them is in the safe zone (this is the best thing yet). My fish is looking better. After I treated the tank I reintroduced the sick swordtail to the tank and that same nasty guppy went after her so she is again isolated in a net. I now have two isolation nets in my tank my male molly has something wrong with him but at this point I am thinking what the hell did I get myself into! I am sorry I bought fish they are really stressing me out.

Okay that is not the last of my troubles, defective babies, disgusting looking fish, crazy water levels, ICH ICH and more ICH, a horne male, trying to stop my three cats from eating the fish and drinking the water, and baby eating fish, no that was not it; my tank just started to leak! I don’t want fish anymore! My dad suggested throwing the entire tank out the window and really right now it dose not seem all that bad of an idea.

So tonight I have to run to a neighboring town and buy another tank I am going to get new rocks, I have to catch all my fish put them in baggies, drain all my water from one take to the other (because I have meds in the water I cant change till another 24 hours), reset up my entire tank, then float my fish in their baggies for a while in the new tank and I swear if anything else happens I am going to freak right out.

One more thing. About a week before I got my tank my boyfriend set his up and he has not had one single problem. His dose not leak even though it is not level and he used ammonia to cycle his tank and he is now ready to get some African chiliads to put in his tank with his spiny pleco he bought last week.

When I was younger and had fish I knew nothing about water testing and all the chemistry in fish rearing and I never had ANY problems at all NONE. ARGHH.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I buy all my fish at LFS but I buy knowing that often they have a ton of problems. The best thing is always to have a small qt tank. I used to just use a 1.5 gallon that you can get almost anywhere for around $10. The light would usually keep the temp high enough (76-80) that I never needed a heater, now I just use an extra 10 gallon set up I have but that's really overkill unless you buy large fish. You can even use a heated bucket if you want but it does make it harder to actually observe whether or not the fish is healthy. With a qt you can usually avoid these problems because typically you can tell within 24 hours whether or not your fish is sick when you get it home. I've probably bought 10-12 sick fish in the last year that I bought from the lfs and if I hadn't had the qt the tank I would be ready to hurt someone. Once your tank is diseased it is hard to get rid of it, thus the best thing is always to try and keep that from happening. Many times no matter how hard you fight it the med problems are not going to go away and eventually the fish are likely going to die.
As for the agressive fish, that happens, I have cichlids so aggression is what I deal with every day. There are quite a few approaches, one approach is to get rid of the aggressive fish, not kill it but maybe give it back to a lfs or maybe to someone else with a fish tank. Another is to get a bigger fish that will bite back if it tries to attack it. But with your med problems another fish probably isn't a wise investment until you get the maladies under control.
As far as the the fry go, I have little to no experience. However, I would say that I've seen some funny looking babies that turn out to become normal looking and healthy fish.

By the way you may tell your boyfriend to do a little reading on the cichlids. They are going to be a handful, and also buy them as babies and don't try to mix a ton of different types. Also be careful with the pleco b/c my cichlids tend to like to poke their eyes out to kill them (I've had 1 of 5 plecos survive).

I hope you get your tank under control and if your fish do die, I'd be careful to thoroughly sterilize your tank and rocks and everything before you try again with new fish. Trust me, it's a hassle when you have problems but when everything is running right it's very rewarding.

well now everything seems to be going fine. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new tank and since the leak was real slow I decided to wait till the next day so that I could also do a water change like my meds suggested. Well that next day some one I knew had a 29 gallon they were will to sell for ten bucks, lid and all. So we cleaned all the hard water out and set it up, put all my fish in baggies and voila a new tank. I put all the same rocks, plants, and toys in the new tank and used all new water. Now my NO2 and NO3 levels are were they should be and my fish seem to be doing great. I am still going to treat the ICH though for another week.

The only problem I see is some labored breathing on the part of my mollies, but I think that it may be the ICH still. My pleco seems to really enjoy his new home, with lots of new hiding places and I think I am going to let my babies to this weekend, out of their isolation net. I have lost six babies, two of which I kind of had my boyfriend help me with seeing as though they appeared to be dieing anyway.

My BF has done a lot of research on Cichlids and he bought a certain kid of pleco that has like armor. The name fails me. But it poops a lot!

right now i am running two filters and Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter- 125, and a walmart filter. I know the they are both a bit small and i am planning on upgrading. I also have a o2 stone in the tank. PLus my water level is about an inch from the top and there are a lot of bubbles.

My nice new water values are

Ammonia is very close to 0
Nitrites 40 (I am doing a 20% water change tonight)
Nitrates .5
pH 7.2

Thanks for the concern! :D

Wow! That nitrite needs to come down (but you know that). I would do 25% water change everyday to lessen the stress on the fish.

Glad everything is going well and glad to hear you've upgraded to a bigger tank. I would definitely set up your old tank as a qt tank. It won't take much and it will save alot of stress. By the way are you still using the heater from the 10 gallon? If so I would definitely suggest investing in a bigger heater. Good Luck

I bought a real nice 50 watt from big al's, and online pet store and it really seems to do the job. I have set it to 76 and 76 is where it has been staying. I thought it would not be strong enough but it seems to be keeping up just fine. And i love the bigger tank. the swordtail seems to be eating less babies and they hid from me from time to time and they seem all around happier in there.

Back
Top Bottom