Fry food increases ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wasn't careful enough and accidentally dumped about a teaspoon of fry food in my 55 gal. (was trying to carefully shake out a little for my baby angels). It really spread. I was about to do my 50% water change anyway, so I didn't fret and just went on with my pwc. I decided to check for ammonia after refilling the tank and got a .50 ppm reading. I am now doing another 50% pwc but am wondering if spilled food could raise the ammonia levels so fast. The last water change was a 50% a week ago.

It's possible that the extra food could foul up the water a bit, but probably not a teaspoon in a 55g and not so immediately. I'd look at other reasons, have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

Yes. I did that immediately and it was 0. I hate to think it was high before today. I guess with all the changes in my tank the BBs really got wacked. Refilling from second 50% pwc now. I'll retest the ammonia after its filled up and I've waited a while.

Still a little greenish. Close to .25 ppm. Should I keep doing water changes or wait 'till tomorrow and see if it's climbing? I guess I'm wondering if .25 can hurt the fish and the fry.

Back
Top Bottom