fuzzy drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a piece of what I think may be mopani driftwood. Its in my tank waiting to sink and it covered in white fuzz. Will the fish eat this? Should I scrub it off? I thought I read before it wasn't harmful. I don't mind the tannins just wondered about the fuzz.

I have a piece of what I think may be mopani driftwood. Its in my tank waiting to sink and it covered in white fuzz. Will the fish eat this? Should I scrub it off? I thought I read before it wasn't harmful. I don't mind the tannins just wondered about the fuzz.

Probably the bacteria in the water eating the starches from the wood.
When the carbs are all eaten up it will disappear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going through the same thing right now. By all accounts from what I've read, it will go away eventually. Some people scrub it off, some take it out and clean it with bleach which I wouldn't recommend. Just give it some time and it will look great :) at least that's what I'm counting on!

ugh isnt it ugly? I bought a nice piece of wood that was all gnarled and cool looking. First problem was it wouldnt sink................not even after a week of being bolted to a rock. Then came the white fuzz that overtook the whole thing. I got sick of looking at it, so I took it out and it STUNK so bad. I decided to scrap the whole thing and now its in my closet. Most driftwood I have used before sinks right away, is darker colored, and never grew that crap fuzz. Lesson learned I guess.

Yeah I boiled mine first and it took about a week or two to sink, but to be fair I collected it from the woods so I didn't expect perfection. I haven't noticed a smell so I'm still trying to wait it out

Mine smells. It's mopani though so maybe that's why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom