FW newbie advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natescuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new(4 weeks) fluval spec v FW.
I have 5 neon tetras and 2 black mollies.
Any suggestions reg. maintenance and what to avoid?

Thanks

how bigis the tank?The stock may not be good depending in the size. Did you add the fush right away or cycle the tank?

The tank is a Fluval spec V. 5 gallons with an internal 3 stage filter

I cycled the tank w/out fish for a week using a chemical cycling product and tested water prior to adding fish

The tank is a Fluval spec V. 5 gallons with an internal 3 stage filter

I cycled the tank w/out fish for a week using a chemical cycling product and tested water prior to adding fish

As what were the levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrat? 1 week seems very short and most cycling products don't actually cycle the tank. Give gallons is very small, only suitable for 1 betta, some nano fish(cpd. Scarlet badis, ember tetra), a single dwarf puffer. Some types of killi, or shrimp. 5 neons are very small but active and some even say 10 g isn't enough. Mollies produce alot of waste and need 10-20 gallons minimum.

I agree with Charlie. The tank is most likely still cycling. Do you own a test kit? On a cycled moderately stocked tank maintenance (water changes & filter cleans) can be done weekly. On a cycling tank water changes could be needed multiple times a day. On an over stocked tank such as yours multiple water change per week may be needed. It all depends on your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html This guide will explain cycling and maintenance requirements.

The ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels were 0 ppm after the first week. I perform weekly maintenance and 1 gallon (20%) water changes.
Would adding a couple shrimp help keep the waste down or would that be more harm than good?

For the future tanks what is a good way to determine the # of fish per amount of water?

The ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels were 0 ppm after the first week. I perform weekly maintenance and 1 gallon (20%) water changes.
Would adding a couple shrimp help keep the waste down or would that be more harm than good?

For the future tanks what is a good way to determine the # of fish per amount of water?

They add to the bioload (amount of waste). Not much but I wouldn't since there's so many fish already.

Experience and research go a long way when it comes to stocking. There is no set rule for number of fish per gallon. You can always ask for advise here on AA. There are many helpful, experienced people willing to give you a hand.

I hate to say it but rehome the Mollies. Way too big for a 5g. Neons need swimming room, they barely fit in a 10g. They may survive at least.
Most Mollies need at least a 20g tank. Active swimmers and big eaters/big poopers.

Best idea for a 5g
1 really nice Betta
Or
Some Cherry Shrimp and live plants

Or 1 dwarf Puffer

Or some dwarf Rasboras or Celestial Pearl Danios.

Weekly PWCs or as needed to keep Ammonia down. The smaller the tank the faster toxins can build up. So it's not always size of fish, but being able to keep water clean. Plus there is a difference between surviving and thriving.

Always do a minimum of 40%-50%. 20% really is not enough.

Ammonia and nitrite being 0 is great... However, zero nitrares??? I find it hard to believe all levels are at zero.... If you are not seeing nitrates, i doubt you are cycled but with that stock you should have high ammonia w no nitrates. test again.

Back
Top Bottom