Garage sale gem 10 gallon build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just bought some white ribbon plants. They look nice but I read on here they are not aquatic. Going to return them and get something else. And I'm still boiling my driftwood...

Yeah get ready to do some more boiling. And some more. And some more. I boiled my mopani for 18 hours before I said "forget this" and plopped it in the tank. There were still tannins galore.

Tetra1990 said:
Y'all want the pictures.

Where in the South are you from? Haha the y'all gives you away :D

If you want some Corydoras in there, look no further than Corydoras Pygmaeus! Excellent little fish with great behavior.

Also, I don't really ever boil my driftwood for too long. Tannins can be very helpful, especially for fish like Corydoras. They like them some of those waters.

Predfan27 said:
Where in the South are you from? Haha the y'all gives you away :D

If you want some Corydoras in there, look no further than Corydoras Pygmaeus! Excellent little fish with great behavior.

Also, I don't really ever boil my driftwood for too long. Tannins can be very helpful, especially for fish like Corydoras. They like them some of those waters.

Im from Omaha Nebraska and last time I checked that's not really in the south lol. I guess that's just the redneck in me. I was thinking of getting pigmy cores. With my driftwood, I'll boil it for a bit longer. I got it last night and put it In the tank and this morning it appeared as if someone dumped a bottle of coke in the tank. I'm just trying to get the majority of the tannins out.

Very nice. I wanna find a nice piece of driftwood by the river just a little ways from my house. So far it has proven some difficulty to find the right density and good shape.

Update: added seeded filter material yesterday and just tested.
Ph- 7.6
Ammonia-0.25
Nitrite-5.0? Couldn't really get a good reading, go figure.
Nitrate-5.0
With seeded filter material.

I might add a few ghost shrimp later today. Driftwood is still soaking.

I believe my driftwood has the majority of it's tannins out!!!! After 72 straight hours of boiling/soaking, the bucket is mostly clear. First pic is of the driftwood and 2nd is a full tank shot. Enjoy and let's gear up for Monday.

Attachments

• image-1228382417.jpg
    image-1228382417.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-4138842335.jpg
    image-4138842335.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 92
New stuff!!! Came home and found a big box on the front porch. Originally had a glass hood with accompanying light strip. The 20 inch hood didn't really fit. No space in back for filter/heater ect. And it hung over the front by a good inch and a half. So I ordered a matching black hood/light and it looks much better. First pic is the 10 with new hood /light combo and second pic is of my 29 gallon. Everything but the wood trim on the 29 matches.

Attachments

• image-240555243.jpg
    image-240555243.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1736435265.jpg
    image-1736435265.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 74
I'm back. It's been a rough week or so. But the tank is officially cycled:) added 6 Harlequin Rasboras and 3 julii Cory cats. Everyone seems to be settling in nicely.

bud29 said:
Man! And when did you start cycling this thing? My 30 gallon has so far taken 6 weeks. And it still has a lot to do yet!

I used media from my up and running 29 gallon.

I hate to be a party pooper but the plants you have in the tank look to be ribbons..... Correct me if i am wrong ( and i hope i am) because i really want to see this tank turn into something gorgeous.

Edit: completely missed your post about them lol never mind

Bubbles0oO said:
I hate to be a party pooper but the plants you have in the tank look to be ribbons..... Correct me if i am wrong ( and i hope i am) because i really want to see this tank turn into something gorgeous.

Edit: completely missed your post about them lol never mind

Yeah,they aren't compleatly aquatic. I didn't do my homework:( my cories were sleeping in them last night,so they can stay till I can replace them.

For those who still care, the filter FINALLY crapped out tonight. So im getting a new one tomorrow. I moved the harlequins and now have neons. Also added some water spirite and it's growing like mad. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Redid the whole tank. Gravel out and sand it!! Here are a few pics. In the 2nd is an Otto and 2 of the blueberry shrimp. Sorry bout the glare.

Attachments

• image-3825426145.jpg
    image-3825426145.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image-230482856.jpg
    image-230482856.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 55
Do you do anything special for the water sprite? Do you have to add co2 or ferts?

Back
Top Bottom