GBR in 20 gallon tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starjessie56

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
right now I have a fully cycled/ well established 20 gallon tall community. I have 3 Cory Cats, 1 amano Shrimp, and 1 platy. I wanted to get a German blue ram or maybe two. is this a good idea? and if so what else can I stock my tank with in additition to the GBR? thanks so much!

First off, I would say at least 4 of them in a tank. My second point and concern would be the shrimp. It might be possible that the GBR might eat it?

4 GBRs? Are there any other cichlids that could befit with my fish? I just love cichlids!

What would you recommend for a centerpiece fish? I really like cichlids, are there any that would work well with my tank?

To be honest, this should be in the cichlid section so the cichlid forum part can help you better.

You could one ram. Other options are a dwarf or honey gourami as a centerpiece.

right now I have a fully cycled/ well established 20 gallon tall community. I have 3 Cory Cats, 1 amano Shrimp, and 1 platy. I wanted to get a German blue ram or maybe two. is this a good idea? and if so what else can I stock my tank with in additition to the GBR? thanks so much!

I know a bit about cichlids so I can give you some choices, first off shelldwellers shouldn't be in a community. Next, a GBR wouldn't eat the amano.

You could get away with 1 GBR in that tank. No more. Note that a GBR isn't a good centerpiece fish because it rarely leaves the bottom. For a centerpiece I would reccomend a type of gourami (either pearl, dwarf, or honey).

-Andrew

I know a bit about cichlids so I can give you some choices, first off shelldwellers shouldn't be in a community. Next, a GBR wouldn't eat the amano.

You could get away with 1 GBR in that tank. No more. Note that a GBR isn't a good centerpiece fish because it rarely leaves the bottom. For a centerpiece I would reccomend a type of gourami (either pearl, dwarf, or honey).

-Andrew

I agree. You could do one ram; I wouldn't attempt a pair in a 20 gal with corys as they get aggressive when they spawn or a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece. You could also add another type of schooling fish, such as 6-8 harlequin rasbora, neon tetra or rummynose tetra (there are other options, those just came to mind first). I'd also get a 2-3 more emerald corys as they like to be in a group.

Thank you so much! So I think that I would like to get a pearl gourami instead of a ram. So should I still add more Cory cats? And what else could I add to my tank?

Just my humble opinion here but I'd say a Pearl gourami is a tad too big for a 20 tall. Preferably a 29 or 37 would be better for them. How about a dwarf or honey gourami instead?

Here's my honey from my 20 tall:
303lrte.jpg

Just my humble opinion here but I'd say a Pearl gourami is a tad too big for a 20 tall. Preferably a 29 or 37 would be better for them. How about a dwarf or honey gourami instead?

Here's my honey from my 20 tall:

Honey's are pretty! Is there anything else I could add to my rank in addition to a honey gourami?

You could probably get away with one honey gourami and one German blue ram. Honey gourami tend to be a bit more peaceful and a bit smaller than Dwarf gourami so it's a combination that typically works. You could also maybe look into peacock gudgeons -- they're very pretty.

You could probably get away with one honey gourami and one German blue ram. Honey gourami tend to be a bit more peaceful and a bit smaller than Dwarf gourami so it's a combination that typically works. You could also maybe look into peacock gudgeons -- they're very pretty.

That sounds cool! Could I add any other small fish along with them?

Back
Top Bottom