Gearing Up !! Couple of questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzarkGold

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello !

Great forum you have here.

Well, I'm about as excited as can be, as i've just ordered a new custom 40x20x24 glass aquarium to get started with ! Also on the way are a pair of Fluval 306 cannisters, a Python clean & fill, an API master test kit, a couple bottles of Prime, and some other assorted accesories.(also plan on purchasing ammonia for the fishless cycle).

I have a couple pieces of great looking driftwood soaking as I type, and am planning on getting three bags of Mystic White II pool filter sand for the substrate.

Heres where the questions come in ! I have a beautiful 4" goldfish that has been calling a half whiskey barrel\fountain home for about a year and a half, and now I'm planning on bringing him in, along with getting him some friends in the new set up.

#1. When I go to do the fishless cycle, can I use material from the whiskey barrel for the starter bacteria ?

#2. I just stumbled upon some rock on the internet that I have not seen before called Rundle Rock that I really like the look of, and was wondering if it is aquarium safe ?

#3.Am I overlooking anything I might need for getting started ?

Thanks in advance,
Don

OzarkGold said:
Hello !

Great forum you have here.

Well, I'm about as excited as can be, as i've just ordered a new custom 40x20x24 glass aquarium to get started with ! Also on the way are a pair of Fluval 306 cannisters, a Python clean & fill, an API master test kit, a couple bottles of Prime, and some other assorted accesories.(also plan on purchasing ammonia for the fishless cycle).

I have a couple pieces of great looking driftwood soaking as I type, and am planning on getting three bags of Mystic White II pool filter sand for the substrate.

Heres where the questions come in ! I have a beautiful 4" goldfish that has been calling a half whiskey barrel\fountain home for about a year and a half, and now I'm planning on bringing him in, along with getting him some friends in the new set up.

#1. When I go to do the fishless cycle, can I use material from the whiskey barrel for the starter bacteria ?

#2. I just stumbled upon some rock on the internet that I have not seen before called Rundle Rock that I really like the look of, and was wondering if it is aquarium safe ?

#3.Am I overlooking anything I might need for getting started ?

Thanks in advance,
Don

Welcome!!
Nice to see your doing your research (y)
You can add 'stuff' from the barrel to help seed/jump start the cycle.
Do you have a link to the rundle rock? I've never heard of it before.
How many gallons is your tank and what else are you planning on stocking?
Do you know what kind of goldfish you have?

Welcome!!
Nice to see your doing your research (y)
You can add 'stuff' from the barrel to help seed/jump start the cycle.
Do you have a link to the rundle rock? I've never heard of it before.
How many gallons is your tank and what else are you planning on stocking?
Do you know what kind of goldfish you have?

Hey, thanks for the reply !

Heres a couple of links on the rock:
River City Stone Design Ltd.

Thunderstone Quarries : Thunderstone Quarries - Product

Origin of Rundle rock landscape stone

The new tank will be 83 gallons. Probably will just get a couple more goldfish.

I really dont know what kind of goldfish this one is, but he he came from a live bait store. LOL

OzarkGold said:
Hey, thanks for the reply !

Heres a couple of links on the rock:
River City Stone Design Ltd.

Thunderstone Quarries : Thunderstone Quarries - Product

Origin of Rundle rock landscape stone

The new tank will be 83 gallons. Probably will just get a couple more goldfish.

I really dont know what kind of goldfish this one is, but he he came from a live bait store. LOL

It kind of looks like slate to me. You have to be careful of what kind of rocks you use in a tank. Some can alter water chemistry. If you can find out what kind of rock it is exactly then you will be able to search to see if it's suitable.

83gals is a great size for fancy goldfish. The general rule of thumb is 20gals for the first gf then 10g for each after that. This rule only applies to fancy gf not commets, commons or koi. The last three get quite huge 1-2feet long and need to be kept in ponds.

If you can post a picture of your fish we can ID it for you.

A pic will def help ID him! If you cant get one, a good description will do. As you plan on him being in this new big tank, you will need to keep your stocking to other goldfish only (preferably of the same breed) and not mix in other types of fish (ie tropicals). Using some media from the his present home will def help jumpstart your bacteria & your cycle. If you plan on a fishless cycle, just make sure you have a good source of pure ammonia & a test kit for monitoring your water parameters during cycling (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph). And make sure you have lots of patience! Def ask if you need any help or have any questions!

Well, after some research, it seems that he is a common goldfish. Not sure now if I should move him in and decide what to do when he and the others outgrow the tank, or just pick something different. The thing is, this tank will be a heck of alot bigger than where he is now.

That will be up to you! Commons grow quite large (12-18inches). Can you possibily rehome him if you dont want to keep him? He really should be in a pond. You could do this now or in the future if you still want to keep him for a bit. Granted, this will limit your to being stocked with a few other single-tail species of goldfish (comets, sarasas, shubunkins, other commons) but this will be temporary as they all grow quite large. You will have to put some thought into what you would like to do & whats going to be best everybody!

Back
Top Bottom