General questions from a noob...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's where I am at:

- First time aquarist!
- 26 gallon bow front aquarium (filled with water and the filter - started cycling today!)
- HOB filter (Aqueon Quietflow, not sure which one). Has some ceramic media in it.
- Sand (the guy who had this tank had a saltwater tank. I want freshwater, so I'm not sure if it's safe to use it? It's sitting in a bucket at the moment...)

1. As much as I'd love a Fluval, I don't think I can afford it! So I think an Aquaclear would be a better choice. (Haven't heard great things about the Aqueon which came with my used tank, hence the upgrade!) My question is: Which one do I get? 50? 70? The 50 is for up to 50 gallons, the 70 for 40-70 gallons, and since I'm at 36, I'm not sure if "more filtering power" is better.

2. I want sand, and someone recommended pool filter sand. Where's the best place to get this? If I want to get real plants, will this be fine? And how much sand do I buy?

3. Is a bubble wand/air stone necessary for a freshwater tank? Should I steer clear of it if I want plants?

4. Speaking of plants... what are some easy starting plants? I also need to figure out what kind of light to get...

Thanks for all your help :)

I can help you a little! :) I've always heard that more filtering power, the better. I'd get the bigger one if I were you. We have a 36 gal bowfront too. We use a filter for 50 gals, but we would love to have a more powerful one! I have never bought pool filter sand, but I've heard you can get it at a hardware store. Sand is totally fine for freshwater fish. We have a bubble wand in both of our tanks. We think the bubbles look nice, and it is good to have air in the water for the fish. Someone else will have to help you with the plants!

I can help you a little! :) I've always heard that more filtering power, the better. I'd get the bigger one if I were you. We have a 36 gal bowfront too. We use a filter for 50 gals, but we would love to have a more powerful one! I have never bought pool filter sand, but I've heard you can get it at a hardware store. Sand is totally fine for freshwater fish. We have a bubble wand in both of our tanks. We think the bubbles look nice, and it is good to have air in the water for the fish. Someone else will have to help you with the plants!

Okay, I'll go for the 70 then! Though sand is safe, is it better than gravel? (Saw you had gravel in your TOTALLY AWESOME looking tanks!!)

And where can you buy a good bubble wand? Any particular brands?

Last edited:
AnnieJ said:
Here's where I am at:

- First time aquarist!
- 36 gallon bow front aquarium (filled with water and the filter - started cycling today!)
- HOB filter (Aqueon Quietflow, not sure which one). Has some ceramic media in it.
- Sand (the guy who had this tank had a saltwater tank. I want freshwater, so I'm not sure if it's safe to use it? It's sitting in a bucket at the moment...)

1. As much as I'd love a Fluval, I don't think I can afford it! So I think an Aquaclear would be a better choice. (Haven't heard great things about the Aqueon which came with my used tank, hence the upgrade!) My question is: Which one do I get? 50? 70? The 50 is for up to 50 gallons, the 70 for 40-70 gallons, and since I'm at 36, I'm not sure if "more filtering power" is better.

2. I want sand, and someone recommended pool filter sand. Where's the best place to get this? If I want to get real plants, will this be fine? And how much sand do I buy?

3. Is a bubble wand/air stone necessary for a freshwater tank? Should I steer clear of it if I want plants?

4. Speaking of plants... what are some easy starting plants? I also need to figure out what kind of light to get...

Thanks for all your help :)

Ok question one go with atleast the aquaclear 70 I have a 55g with a rena xp3 rated for 175g on it and having more is better
Question two I have pool filter sand and its awesome and works well with real plants u can get it for $3 at any pool store and u will only need one big bag
Question three bubble wands are cosmetic for the most part they do have uses it helps break up water on the surface which is good and if u have plants at night plants dont produce oxygen so it helps in planted tanks at night
Question four easy plants are going to be java moss, java fern, anubis but can help out more when u get a light

AnnieJ said:
Okay, I'll go for the 70 then! Though sand is safe, is it better than gravel? (Saw you had gravel in your TOTALLY AWESOME looking tanks!!)

I would say sands better because its easier to clean and its cheaper to but and personally looks better here is one with pfs

Disagree, sand is harder to keep clean, I used to have White sand. It does look awesome when it's clean however. Bubble wands and airstones as said above are good because they disturb the water surface improving aeration. The bubbles don't add air directly though. And as above a more powerful filter is better than being underfiltered. Just be aware that if you go too powerful you may create strong currents in your tank.

enid_b said:
Disagree, sand is harder to keep clean, I used to have White sand. It does look awesome when it's clean however. Bubble wands and airstones as said above are good because they disturb the water surface improving aeration. The bubbles don't add air directly though. And as above a more powerful filter is better than being underfiltered. Just be aware that if you go too powerful you may create strong currents in your tank.

wasn't saying easier to keep clean I was saying easier to clean

Thanks! We did gravel because we thought it was easier to clean. I'll be doing sand in my next tank though, so we'll see! I would buy the cheapest bubble wand you can find. :D

TheMurrays said:
Thanks! We did gravel because we thought it was easier to clean. I'll be doing sand in my next tank though, so we'll see! I would buy the cheapest bubble wand you can find. :D

Yeah what I like about sand over gravel is all u have to do is hover over the sand to clean it and if u get trumpiter snails they mix up the sand which helps a whole lot

Id run the filter it came with on the other side of the tank as well. More filtration and you can have a cycled filter ready if you need to quarantine

One more thing. Learn about cycling your tank. There are two types most people use the fish less cycle. This will help you keep your fish.

Working on the fishless cycle! :)

Also, this is ridiculous, but I just realized (after checking my dimensions) that the tank I have is *26* gallons, and not 36. This doesn't matter to me, since it's plenty big for me!

Will getting an AquaClear 70 still be alright, or should I get a AquaClear 50 instead?

Id get the 50.I have a 50 on my 30 gallon.
Id run the filter it came with on the other side too.

Yeah. And if the current from the ac is too much you can move a switch and it decreases it

And bc you can put pretty much whatever you want in there for media.
I have a sponge, then seeded gravel, then a filter pad, then biomax media.

And its quiet and I think they look nice

Haha the current filter is not super loud, but it sounds like a tiny waterfall, I guess... makes my mom really relaxed! :ROFLMAO:

Ohh. Just fill the water up to the black trim and it should be quieter.
And on the ac the filter doesn't buzz or hum but the outgoing water makes a "waterfall" noise

Back
Top Bottom