General tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm starting my first tank - a 55 gallon with all artificial ornaments.

1. When topping of the tank for evaporation what do I use? Bottled water? Do I have to add anything to the water?

2. I've read that 8 to 10 hours a day is good for lighting but my girlfriend works days and I work nights. Would it be alright to split up the time for the lights being on when we are home? Do the lights need to be on when feeding?

3. I have two ornaments that make bubbles. Is it best to keep the bubbles going all the time or should I limit the time they are on? Just wondering if it could be aggravating to the fish.

4. I have a little time and temp for monitoring my tank temperature. The fish I plan on keeping are recommended to have 74-79 degrees. Right now my tank is at 80 but feels pretty cool to me is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

1. When topping of the tank for evaporation what do I use? Bottled water? Do I have to add anything to the water?

I top my tanks off with dechlorinated tap water.

2. I've read that 8 to 10 hours a day is good for lighting but my girlfriend works days and I work nights. Would it be alright to split up the time for the lights being on when we are home? Do the lights need to be on when feeding?

It's recommend that you don't have your light on more then 12 hours per day. You need to keep it on a consistant schedule so they can get some rest. IMO, the lights turning on, off on and off tends to stress them out. My light turns on everyday at 9am so they can get some natural light first and it's not a total shock to them when the tank light comes on. Get a light timer so you don't have to worry about it.

3. I have two ornaments that make bubbles. Is it best to keep the bubbles going all the time or should I limit the time they are on? Just wondering if it could be aggravating to the fish.

Is this attached to an air stone? Or is it one of those action ornaments? Either way, I personally don't think it will bother them. My castle has an airstone running through it for added aeration and it's on all the time.

4. I have a little time and temp for monitoring my tank temperature. The fish I plan on keeping are recommended to have 74-79 degrees. Right now my tank is at 80 but feels pretty cool to me is that normal?

I think it's normal. Those digital therometers are pretty accurate.

Hi ski!

1:You can use normal tapwater to top of the tank, as long as you add a declorinator, which you can get at your lfs. Also change at least 10% of your water weekly!

2: You can split up the time that the lights are on, just make sure that they have some hours in complete darkness (at night). It's best for them. And i'd recommend having lights on when feeding, most of my fish go by sight to feed (also smell, but they need sight).

3: You could keep them going all the time, these are probably airstones in a decorative form. It's not bad for your fish, and only good when you have too little O2 in your water, which rarely happens.

4: I keep my tank at 78-79, which is fine for most fish. Although 80 may feel cool for you, it's good for fish! Be sure to get a seperate thermometer to measure, don't go by any markings on your heater, not accurate.

HTH!

You beat me to it Fawn :p
Seems like a comptetition nowadays to have the answer ready as soon as possible :wink:

First off "Welcome to AA" ski.
1. Tap water is ok, just use some declorinator
2. Lighting is not that critical unless you get plants. It would be ok to split the time. IMO
3. Bubbles can stay on 24/7 unless you get plants.
4. Time and Temp? If you doubt your thermometer then check it with another. Your body temp is normally 98.6 degrees. Unless your water comes close to that it will feel cool to the touch. What kind of fish do you have. One degree probably wont kill them.HTH :mrgreen:

Wow,
That was fast. Is Bio-Safe considered a declorinator?
Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom