Gettin more into it: my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I already have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon, look awt my profile for more details, also feel free to comment or message me about them any help is welcome.
Now here is the story, I bought a 55 gallon new, I am going to do a sand tank and get filter, heater, etc.
I need to know what my fish options are, I really want a stingray however that would only be a reality if i find someone with a much larger tank to take it off my hands after a year or so, when it becomes to large.
So my question to this community is what do you suggest? i have a cichlid tank already so I want to stay away from them. I want about 5 or 6 fish not including a pleco due to the stingray cant have one. If I don't get the stingray ill just get a bristlenose. Tank will be freshwater, as brackish or not as I need it to be.

I'm not looking for a "community tank" I don't want a hundred mollies or anything haha.

Please help me. Thanks

I'm assuming you're talking about freshwater stingrays, and I must say, a 55 gallon tank is too small for a stingray. With the way they move, you would need a tank that is at least 6 feet long, even for young ones. tanks 180 gallons and over would be much better.

If you want to do a community tank, I would maybe go with something that isn't as large, or get a much larger tank. :)

I am not looking for a community tank, simply 5-6 fish that are not cichlids for a 55 gallon. The more I read up on the stingrays the less likely it seems I am going to get them, so I will just get a bristlenose pleco. I just dont want to get 2 fish for that whole tank nor do I want 100 little fish. I would prefer 5-6 fish maybe 3-4 different types if possible

Angelfish work well in a 55, you could get a pair of angels, maybe denison barbs, or loaches. It really depends on what kind of color or activity level you are looking for.

Angelfish work well in a 55, you could get a pair of angels, maybe denison barbs, or loaches. It really depends on what kind of color or activity level you are looking for.

The girlfriend already has loaches, I have been looking into clown loaches, angels however dont really tickle my fancy. I will look into barbs though. =)

There are a bunch of different kinds, in all kinds of colors. But If you've done cichlids you've probably been blown away by color already! haha

Back
Top Bottom