Getting a 55 gallon and very confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just a question to all since we're on the subject....

i vaguely remember ruling out canisters in my mind when i was thinking about a new filter, because of the greater possibility of making a mistake and flooding the house. (?)

my attention is really bad (i have exploded about 4 heaters by forgetting to unplug them before draining the tank), and someone told me that making a mistake and flooding the house is much more likely with a canister than a HOB. Am I remembering this right, or am I way off base?

Anything is possible! Placing the canister in a plastic tub will help if an o ring leaks. If you disconnect the tubing properly, you may have a few drips, but no major spills.

Menagerie et al,

Do you have an opinion on a 404 vs. a Magnum 350 w/a biowheel 60 vs. an Eheim ECCOComfort 2236

Also, I really wanted to get away with having only (1) filter unit. Will any of these (3) suffice?

WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SOOOOOOO HARD!?!?!?!

Alan

I would recommend the 404 or eheim, either will filter that tank (the 404 has a higher rating tho), from what I've heard the Magnum 350's are more prone to developing leaks at the seals. the other 2 are built very well.

Thanks, Menagerie. I thought I remembered that. Someday I will get brave and get a huge tank and try the canisters.

Wizzard of Ozz, how do your daughters like living in a 10 gal. freshwater aquarium? You must have to change the water really frequently for that kind of bioload! :lol:

Do you have an opinion on a 404 vs. a Magnum 350 w/a biowheel 60 vs. an Eheim ECCOComfort 2236
Personally, if I could get rid of all the HOBs in the house I would, but a canister on a 5 gal betta tank would be a bit much. There is less evaporation, less noise, you can go longer between cleanings (okay, I'm lazy) and put in the media you want. I agree with the Wizzard, the 404 or eheim will be fine.

Ok.....help me understand why the Eheim with a rating of only 185GPH would be enough. I also looked at an Eheim 2215 which is rated to 92g but the GPH is only 164????? I know the Fluvall 404 is 350 GPH and that seems more in-line with the fact that I thought the GPH should be 5-6x that tank size. Hmmmm.....

The ratings are not regulated. There is no way of knowing if the gph was taken with the filter full of media or empty. As a general rule, you want to see a rating of 5-6x the gph. The 404 is rated for a 100 gal tank :roll:

Back
Top Bottom