getting a betta tank tuesday...suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RWaltman

Aquarium Advice Activist
so I'm going to get a small betta tank for the bedroom...anyone have suggestions or betta related tips? thanks...prob gonna get a 2 to 3 gallon one...possibly a 5....not sure...

get a 10 gallon. you can get them for $10 at walmart. it will like the room a lot better then a small tank. will prob be cheaper also.

I've got my Betta in the 3gal eclipse. I know some have said it has too much water movement for a Betta, but he doesn't seem to mind. He even spends most of his time in the current. Plenty of room to move around as well.

Unfortunately the eclipse filter is non adjustable. Thats really the only knock I have on the setup. That and it has a small area to which food can be dropped in (opening where door is is blocked mostly by filter).

i agree with gamer.. spend the 14 bucks at walmart for a 10 gallon.. you can make the fish itself happier.. you can put a small filter on it.. adjustable.. and make you and his life easier/happier.

10g is best bang for the buck, they are dirt cheap and take up relatively NO space. I kept one on my sons little tiny dresser, and still had room for his toys and junk on there.

I wont put a betta in anything smaller then a 10g.

A 10 gallon is cheaper but I do like the 5 gallon tanks. If you go with something like a 5 gallon or smaller you can get a small HOB filter that is adjustable. There are small heaters as well that you can hide easy like the hydro mini aquarium heater. If you are going to use it on a dresser make sure that it won't bow, I have a 5 gallon on a microwave stand and the thing is bowing very badly I ended up putting it on a piece of wood when I rescaped the tank so that I didn't have to worry so much about it breaking. Make sure your tank is covered or has floating plants. I use floating plants on all of my betta tanks and no one has committed suicide.

I've had bettas do fine in a 5.5 gallon. Its a big upgrade from the .5 gallon cup they are usually kept in. 10 is probably better, but if you don't want that large go with the 5.

For awhile I had my Betta in a 5 gal hex. It was a great environment. The filter didn't bother him too much. (though he couldn't build a bubblenest) It provided plenty of room for him to exercise, and since it is a taller tank that it is wide or long it didn't take up a lot of surface space. It worked out great.

I am currently working on making a 10 gal tank to be an "ideal aquarium" for the Betta. Whatever you can afford just remember that bigger is generally better. A larger tank has more wiggle room before changes become a big deal. For example it takes a larger tank longer to cool down than a small tank. So the larger tank would provide less of a temperature shock on the fish.

If you don't want to go for a 10 gal, I would try for something close to a 5 gal.

they have 5 gallon kits at wally world for like 20 or so dollars.... but like everyone else said, 10g = way better

Back
Top Bottom