Getting a second filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After a loooot of inner discussion I've decided to invest in a second filter for my 29 gallon tank. I have no immediate need for a second filter, I'd just like my tank to be as healthy as possible.
I currently have a tetra whisper 30 that came with the tank. The tank is heated at 78*F and is cycled. I have a lot of silk plants which I will be very slowly replacing with real plants, and I have small smooth gravel substrate. It is stocked with one three spot gourami, two mollies, two mystery snails, one albino bn pleco, and five harlequin Rasboras. (I'm aware of the possible issues with my gourami and Rasboras but after 3 months, no issues.)
What type of filter would be a good investment for me? If you can be even more specific and tell me an exact filter that would be awesome!! Thanks!

The best filter I have ever had was a fluvel 4, down side is its a bit noisy you can hear the water splashing, I don't now if that one will be too big you might need one a size down or so, an they can be expensive, or you could try an external filter(I haven't got one but they are good have mates with them) I have had tuns of filters all different makes, this one even has a clog indicator on it( so it lets you no if the things blocked up) even though I never go by that as I clean it a lot

That's my suggestion anyway

Sent from my fish phone

The Aquaclear 70 would be my recommendation. Relatively inexpensive and provides good media flexibility.

+1 on the Aquaclear but if you have a little extra money I'd recommend a Fluval 206.

I second the fluval 206. I just got one for my 29 g and it's amazing!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Aquaclear 70 would be my recommendation. Relatively inexpensive and provides good media flexibility.

I'd say that'd be overkill for a 29 gallon tank that already has one filter.

I have an AQ 50 on my 29 gallon and it works great.

An AC70 is perfect for a 29g particularly with its adjustable flow rate. It's really just more media space, plus a 29g could use a little extra movement to avoid dead spots. Even with my Fluval 206 I run an additional powerhead to make sure the entire tank is getting good circulation. An AC50 would be perfectly fine too though, I guess I'm just in the "it's hard to overfilter" crowd.

Back
Top Bottom