Getting a used 20-gallon tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aharcara

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm so excited! I'm finally getting a tank! I'm getting a used one, with all the lady's equipment and accessories.

Is there anything I should do or watch out for since it's used. I know I'm not supposed to clean it with soap or cleaners, but should I "sterilize" it somehow? Anything else? Should I get new filter material? I think it's been out of use for a while, so it won't have any good bacteria left, I wouldn't think. I'm getting the gravel, too.

Any advice or thoughts would be great! I haven't seen it yet, or paid for it, so if there's something I should think of before doing these things, let me know!

Use vinegar and water to clean the tank, then rinse it thoroughly. The old media won't be any benefit to you, like you assumed, so I'd toss it and start fresh. You may want to consider starting with fresh light bulb(s) as well. The gravel you can rinse if you want to use it, otherwise new standard gravel is pretty cheap if you prefer a different color.

Make sure you've read up on the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling while you're waiting to get it all setup.

are you going to do salt or fresh? (assuming fresh because...you have gravel..most salt tanks have sand). sounds good, look for small cracks, those wouldnt be good =)

Good point. A leak test would definately be in order as well. Fill with water and let set outside or in a garage (somewhere it's ok to get wet just in case) for a day or two. check the seams up and down the sides and around the bottom for leaks

if it does have leaks...20 gallons arent too pricy, figure about 1 dollar a gallon.

if it does have leaks...20 gallons arent too pricy, figure about 1 dollar a gallon.

Is that an accurate pricing guide for tank sizes? I thought they'd cost more than that.

Either way thats really great you're getting everything used OP. YOu're going to love it and hopefully will become obsessed with it. I can and do sit for hours in front of my tanks. Keep your fish happy by reading a lot and asking us questions!

Size matters when it comes to pricing tanks. But generally in the lower gallonage range, that's pretty close to accurate, give or take a little bit.

Leak...hadn't thought of that...

Would it be appropriate to ask the seller to fill it up and let it sit and check for leaks before getting it?

Thanks so much for your advice! I've been reading a lot on here for the past couple of weeks, and I've read up on fishless cycling...I'll have to reread when it's actually time to do it! I did look for and found pure ammonia at Walmart. It didn't make suds when I shook it, so I guess it's pure.

I forgot to add...It will be for a freshwater tank.

i work at an exotic pet store...we sell everything from hedgehogs to tanks to sharks, we even had a white lion on display once. but...for lower tanks...like 10 gallons...theyre 12.59 with tax...like...our 180 gallon is 288.88 right now (on sale) but...yea

If the seller is open to conducting a leak test for you, then it's not a bad idea. Have him/her fill it up a day or so before you go look at it, then you can inspect the seams while you're there.

As for your ammonia, I can't stress enough the importance to make sure. The shake test is a good idea, but also you need to read the label closely. Any purfumes, scents, or surfactants in it will cause you a ton of grief.

I think that there may have been 1 or 2 other things listed in the ingredients besides ammonia, but I didn't know what they were.

The only things in pure ammonia will be Ammonia and Water. Practically anything else and you can't use it.

i checked the ammonia at walmart today...the ingredients said: water, ammonia, and "chelates." I think that's right. I didn't have a pen with me to write it down.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice! I've learned so much!

The chelators are not good for your aquarium and would mean that it isn't pure ammonia.

I'd have to disagree with that... I bought a 2.5g, and it was $10. My 47g was $400. Of course the 47g came with a HOB Magnum filter and a few plastic plants, but it was still a lot more than $1/g.

Depends on your area I guess then. 2.5 here are $6, 10 gallons are $9... 20 gallons are $22... as you go up in volume the price does rise.

Back
Top Bottom