Getting back in the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BackInUtah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I decided to get back in the freshwater aquarium hobby after taking a while and doing saltwater. I have a 75 gallon tall tank. The last tank I had for freshwater was 18 gallons so it is quite the difference.

I want to start the cycling process next weekend and have read that I can put in decorations and plants to start that. I guess I should mention that I want live plants this time around. That is actually my first question. Can I put live plants in with other decorations that my kids would like? What type of substrate will be best and what plants are best? Can anyone send pics of what they have done?

Also please send stocking ideas. I always liked cichlids but don't know what can go with them because I like a variety of fish. I also like discus but they are expensive. I am not set on anything in particular though. Please send ideas and favorites.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Welcome back to freshwater.
To begin with, Discus are cichlids. Pricey, yes, but one of the few cichlids that can go in a tank with live plants. Also, if your water parameters are right, Discus are fairly easy to breed, and great parents, so most of the fry will survive. If you live in a sizable area, you can easily sell the fry to recoup your expenses. As a bonus educational tool for the kids, Discus fry actually live off the slime coat on their parents bodies for several days after hatching. Quite interesting to watch.
You could also check out some of the New World Dwarf Cichlids, such as Bolivian Rams, German Rams, most Apistogrammas, and Rainbows. Most of these do well with live plants, and are not very aggressive. Most of the larger New World Cichlids, and most African Rift Lake Cichlids will rip your live plants to shreds.
You may also want to post in the Planted Tank forum for more definitive answers.

Thank you for the reply.

If I wanted discus, how many should I get and what would be a good stock list of other fish to add along with them?

If I go with rams or the other types of cichlids that were mentioned then what stock lists might be good ideas?

What if I went with angelfish rather than the other types of cichlids mentioned? Can those go with rams or the others mentioned?

Just looking for ideas so I can plan the tank. Any ideas would be great.

I will post in the planted tank section as well for help with plants.

Thanks again for any help.

Discus are loose schooling fish, and prefer the company of other discus. For a 75g, I would probably start with 5-6 juveniles, with the intention of getting a couple good m/f pairs, and rehoming the others.
You could keep a couple angels with the discus, but use caution, as both discus and angels become territorial when breeding.
Other discus tank mates could include most tetra species, most corydoras, or smaller plecos like bristlenose, rubber-lipped, etc. Bear in mind that tetras and cories are schooling fish, and will need to be in groups of 6 or more fish to thrive.
The above named fish, with the exception of angels, would also do fine with rams. Most live-bearers (guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails) would probably br fine also, but the rams may eat the fry. Which will be good, as live-bearers can quickly overstock any size tank with babies.
Personally, if it were me, I would try for 2 pairs of either rams or discus, a school of 8-10 of one tetra species, and a school of 6-8 of a smaller cory species. If discus, I may do a couple angels instead of tetras.
Do a bit of research before deciding though, as discus and rams have different care requirements, although both will require fairly soft, slightly acidic to neutral water.

Discus are not an easy fish to breed and raise. Requiring pristine water conditions and 4-6 messing feedings a day that foul the water. They need daily massive water changes. Most South American cichilds (the exceptions are the really large ones like Oscars) do very well in planted tanks and have massive personalities. Rams and angels do fine together. You have a lot of options with a tank that big.
As far as plants go you have a tun of options and it really comes down to how much work and money you want to put in. Substrates are as varied as your fish choices! I am a dirt girl! I use dirt with a sand cap. But they do make substrates for planting. Going low tech still gives you a lot of options but less so on colors.
I don't have the money to do the CO2 so I high dose excel (glut) I dose with PPS-Pro dry ferts but there is also EI or estimative index. This is where I get mine. Green Leaf Aquariums They will give you information on both. You also have lighting to deal with. 6500k is optimal. But the intensity will determine what you can grow. There is a lot to learn with plants just go slow you can always upgrade later on if ou get a good planted substrate, which ever you choose. Honestly you can grow great plants even in regular sand and gravel. Here is a pick of mine it is a work in progress!

Attachments

• tank 2-17-18.jpg
    tank 2-17-18.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 53
Thank you for the help and advice. Your tank looks very nice. How many plants are in there and what size is it? What kind is the plant in the middle?

I have a pretty good idea of plants for the tank now. Now let's talk fish. Any ideas on a good stocking list? A lot will depend on what my children want but ultimately we want a good mix. One wants a rainbow shark, one wants a ram and gouramis, one wants guppies and angels, one wants loaches and platies and mollies. Basically I am wide open right now but am just looking for suggestions and what fish will go together. Looking for different ideas on stocking suggestions. Thanks again for your help.

Going off your list I'd say a single rainbow shark is ok. Rams are ok. I'd go with pearl gourami's and no dwarf gourami's. Guppies are ok. I'd go with one Angel or a male and female pair. Angels will get aggressive if paired and breeding. Loaches are ok. Clown loaches are always cool. Platies and mollies are ok. Your iffy fish are guppies and palaties in my opinion. If I were you I would add your fish together as juveniles. Being raised together can lower aggression. Especially with the angel and shark. Get a cave or equivalent for the shark to claim territory over. Also, read up on these fish and their requirements. IMO I think you could mix all of them in a 75g but others may disagree. Know the number of fish you would need to keep for each species as some are schooling fish.

For loaches I would go with khuli instead of clowns due to your tank size. I would also double your filtration. So run around a 150 gallon filter since you will be maxing the tank out.

Thanks again for the advice. A couple followup questions. Why no dwarf gouramis? Why are guppies and platies iffy?

Last night I had one child tell me they had forgotten tetras, killifish, and barbs, another said they want rainbows and rasboras, my wife wants ottos and corys. I obviously can't put every fish that they want in. They want every kind they see. That is why I am just looking for ideas right now for a stock list so I can begin planning and figure this all out before I start to add fish into the tank.

Thanks again for all your help.

You can do rainbows ,tetras ,cories ,and otos no problem together.
The barbs are iffy [which means maybe funny acting fish or questionable compatibility ]
but I would recommend Denison barbs [roseline sharks].
SKIP all fish questionably aggressive .
Most dwarf gouiramis are really mean fish which only tolerate 1 male [most sold are male/most colorful] and atleast 25% of imported stock which is a major supplier of this fish come infected with DGI.
Learn about Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus and then you will not want them...
Pearl gouramis would match up with fish mentioned above nicely IMO.
You can have a very nice planted friendly community tank with a 75g..
I am partial to clown loaches but they may eat your plants.. Best fish for the dollar though if they do well..Mine are 15+ years old...$1 a year:angel:

Bandit, how big is your old clown?

I don't think one of mine is over 8 inches.
They have never been in less then a 6 foot tank since I got them..
They say they can live 50 years so maybe mine will grow more but they average 6 inches of fun !:dance:

I don't think one of mine is over 8 inches.
They have never been in less then a 6 foot tank since I got them..
They say they can live 50 years so maybe mine will grow more but they average 6 inches of fun !:dance:
Nice. I'm planning a 180g set up for the future... probably year or two away....and I want to get a group of clowns. It keeps throwing my stocking calculator off because they have them growing up to 12 in

Nice. I'm planning a 180g set up for the future... probably year or two away....and I want to get a group of clowns. It keeps throwing my stocking calculator off because they have them growing up to 12 in
According to Aquadvisor I am 150% overstocked in my 180 with just them !
Sometimes those calculators work and sometimes I think they are worthless.
Although crowded I had my 180 at over 212% stocking for over 4 years !:nono:
I am probably one of the few who recommend clowns..
They really are great fish..

If you want barbs I would recommend cherry barbs. The males are stunning, they don't grow big and they are super peaceful I have some in my community tank with angel, pearl gourami and dwarf rainbows.

Thank you again for all your help. The tank is finally being set up tomorrow. I will then be focusing on planting and cycling. Now I have to figure out fish.

I am leaning toward angels, german blue rams, cory catfish, ottos, a rainbow shark, maybe gouramis with or in place of something on that list and then 2-3 groups of either tetras, barbs, rasboras, platys, mollies, guppies, etc.

Any advice on types of fish and how many with these guidelines? Thanks again for all your help.

In my old 70 I had an angel, clown pleco, breeding pair of apistogramma cacatuoides, 8 peppered Cory, 13 black neon tetra, 13 harlequin rasboras, and a few platy. It was moderately to heavily planted and I never once had an issue with aggression from any of the stock (other than an apisto chasing the occasional Cory away from the fry).

IMG_20120601_211944-M.jpg

The rainbow shark I used to have was aggressive and very territorial. Had to get rid of it. I don't think it would do well with cories or Otto's. Barbs are aggressive and fin nip. Angels are good. GBR is good along with Bolivian Rams. Cory and Otto's are good. Gourami's are good... avoid the dwarfs. The rest are good. If you mix guppies and mollies be aware of the guppies somewhat harassing the mollies as they try to breed with them. What kind of tetras are you interested in? There are many.

I was thinking neon tetras but if there are a different type that would be good I am certainly open to them. What about rainbowfish? How many of each type of fish would be good? Any other ideas?

I like the rainbowfish idea. You might be limited on number in a 75g.... fairly large schooling fish? Neons would work as well.

As for stocking numbers....I'd say 1 Angel, 5 GBR, 6 cories, 6 Otto's, 1 pearl gourami, 6 mollies or 6 fancy guppies, 10 dwarf neon rainbowfish, and 10 neon tetra.

Back
Top Bottom