Getting back into the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougm77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting back into the aquarium hobby after a 8 year break. Prior I had almost 20 years of experience so I am not your typical noob. I recently set up a 50 gallon tank which I intend on making a planted community tank and have started a fishless cycle on.
While shopping for aquarium supplies I noticed some products which I don't think were available when I was last in the hobby and wanted to get opinions on them.
1. I opted for a aquaclear 70 filter and noticed that they offer a filter insert which is supposed to remove ammonia. First of all does this type of item actually work? Second it seems like using something like this regularly would delay a tank cycling properly. My gut feeling is this type of product is simply meant as a crutch for those who don't want to properly maintain their tanks.
2. I noticed a number of products claiming to contain bacteria to jumpstart a tank cycle. To me this seemed too good to be true. Am I correct?
Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

you never know how long that bacteria in a bottle sat on the shelf at the store and how long it sat in a warehouse . your best bet is to find some seeded media maybe from one of your fellow fish keepers .

Agree with the previous comment about the bottled bacteria! Also, during a fishless cycle, the ammonia inserts would not be beneficial IMO. I wouldn't even use them on a cycled tank. Nothing like good ole water changes to keep ammonia down, if need be.

I LOVE my Aquaclear 50 filter! I've owned many sizes in the past and love them all! They are quiet and I love that you can control the outflow.

Back
Top Bottom