Getting into betta, any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sdimatties

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking at getting a betta and I would love to get all the tips I can before I decide to do it. I've tried having a betta once before and it died overnight. That was years ago and with little knowledge about fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

At the minimum a five gallon tank is necessary. A ten works much better IMO, though. Id recommend sand as a substrate just because I like it better, but you could use gravel. I just would stick to more rounded, smaller gravel. I find them more versatile. You could go with live plants which is ideal, but you would need an appropriate light and ferts, so you may not want to do that right away. With fake plants you're going to want plants that are silk, so they don't cut the bettas fins. Try and get a filter that you can adjust the flow on, bettas don't swim too well in fast moving water. You will need a filter though. And a heater, appropriately sized for the tank. Id get a piece of driftwood too, they make the tank look better and provide caves. I'm not sure if your LFS will do this, but mine sells the driftwood they keep in their tanks. This helps because the driftwood won't turn the water brown because all of the tannins were already leeched out, and it has BB on it to help start cycling. See if you can maybe get seeding filter material from your LFS too, so you can add the betta immediately. If not, you could add the betta immediately and do a fish in cycle. Bettas have small bio loads so it won't be too hard to keep ammonia levels down. Just make sure to do daily pwc to keep them safe. You can test ammonia nitrite and nitrate with API master testing kit. Don't get strips to test, they are inaccurate. Also make sure to get water dechlorinator (prime is a favorite among fish keepers) and betta pellets. They also love blood worms as a "treat".

Thanks. I've had tanks before so I know the usual advice applies. I just don't know if betta are "special" or just so easy that I'm completely over thinking them.

Betta fish are extremely easy to keep. If you've kept fish successfully before you will do just fine.

A 10g is quite small but is perfect for a Betta and opens up other options like ADF or some ghost shrimp. Snails are always welcome also. What type of Betta were you looking for? I like crowntail and halfmoons personally.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh! Something long finned bettas might do is tail bite. They literally chew their tails off, and it's not an illness so it's difficult to "cure". Typically linked to boredom. That being said, not all long finned bettas will do this, but short finned plakats don't do it at all. Just something to keep in mind.

We were looking at the double veil tail. I love the rose petal that our pet co has, but I'm not spending $20 on a fish I've never had before. Either way, my son is insisting it has to be purple.

Is it better to order a specific fish or wait until the perfect one comes along?

And for tank size we have a 6 gallon and a 20 high. It would eventually be the showcase fish in the 20.

My best advice is attention!! Bettas love attention. They do much better when you interact with them once a day.

I have two bettas each in 3 gallon tanks with full set ups. And I second the smaller gravel suggestion.

We have sand. I am assuming sand would be fine...?

We were looking at the double veil tail. I love the rose petal that our pet co has, but I'm not spending $20 on a fish I've never had before. Either way, my son is insisting it has to be purple.

Is it better to order a specific fish or wait until the perfect one comes along?

Where are you located? I'm looking to rehome my Emerald Green & Mustard half-moon male and platinum female...

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

I'm in the Daytona Beach area. My son desperately wants a purple one.

Purple isn't common. It's not super rare, but blue or red are the most common colors.

I'd suggest at least a 5g.

No tank mates until you see how calm your Betta is. Some cannot be in community tanks.

I'd use black sand and easy live plants. Java Fern can be tied to wood and will grow under any light with or without Ferts.

This was my last boy in his 10g with plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425887953.878203.jpg

Some of the blues, like mine I have a blue veil tail, under the light have a purple tint to them. You would be lucky to find a true purple at an LFS. You would likely need to order it and that being said, if $20 is too much I would reconsider the purple.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Interesting, both of my bettas are purple. It seems to me that is very common near my house. Good luck. They sure are pretty.

Interesting, both of my bettas are purple. It seems to me that is very common near my house. Good luck. They sure are pretty.

Guess it varies by store, I've never seen a true purple Betta in my area.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom