Getting my sister started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My sister for Christmas really wants an upgrade for her betta fish and such I'm going to gift her this for Christmas!

I'm really needing some opinions on some 'all in one tanks' that can sustain plant growth (low light of course) that's a simple setup for a beginner.

I myself have a fluval EBI and I'm enjoying the brand a lot, because of this I was looking into some of the spec ranges. Does anyone know if the lights on it are adequate for keeping low light plants alive?

Would it be better for a beginner to have the 2.5 or 5 gallon? Would a 5 gallon cycle easier and in theory make it simpler with the water changes?

If anyone has some good tanks please let me know!! (I'm in Australia so please keep this in mind as not everything is available here)

A great betta tank that can grow plants is the fluval edge 6 gallon aquarium.

I read that because of the design its hard to clean which would be an issue and that if you fill it all the way like designed it only leaves a small place for the betta to breathe :/ I prefer tanks that have an open top (with a removable lid)

You can try the Fluval Chi 5 gal. I had a betta in mine when I first got him and he loved it and it was a really good tank for him. I was able to sustain low-light plants with the light it came with as well.

I've seen alot of people with bettas in it, I think it looks good! Do you think an Anubis would do okay in there? I want easy and super hardy plants for her.

I've seen alot of people with bettas in it, I think it looks good! Do you think an Anubis would do okay in there? I want easy and super hardy plants for her.

Yep, I had Anubias, Java Fern, moss and something else I can't remember in the Chi with the betta, the plants did well.

I've seen a lot of betta fanciers using the aqueon branded tanks but I highly doubt its available here.. Such a shame..

If I have free time ill head to an aquarium shop a little far away, they have a good variety of tanks available, its more then an hours drive though :(

Glad I found this thread! My sister has recently developed an interest in aquariums so I'm getting her set up and giving her my betta. He is the only occupant in my ten gallon and I guess I'd like to do something different with the tank anyway.

I bought the 5 gallon Fluval Chi for him to live in when he makes the move to her place. The design of the tank is what first attracted me to it because my sister is a graphic designer, but it also seemed to be the best "all-in-one" tank for a betta due to the way the filter flows into it. I'm hoping it will be easy to make the water pretty stagnant. Thoughts on this?

5+ gallons is much easier to cycle than 2.5, bigger is always better in the case of cycling, so I'd go that route.

I showed my sister some photos of the chi and she liked it, I was a little concerned about how to clean it though, does the whole top open up or just a small part like on the edge aquariums?
She also liked the 5 gallon spec from fluval but I have seen some pretty horrendous things about the light that comes with it, that its terrible. Could low light plants still go okay under it?

Ill be heading to a good aquarium place sometime this weekend to look at what they have :)

The whole top is open (except for the filter cube and the arm that extends from it to the the back of the tank). The design I think is perfect for a single plant in the plant box below the light and gravel around it which will be easily vacuumed. I'm looking for a plant that will fill this tank nicely.

Back
Top Bottom