Getting some new fish...suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

Have a 20 gal high, aqua clear 50 filter.

My tank has been up and running for about a year. Started out with some corys, neons and harlequin rasboras. Did not have a lot of luck with corys, as I only have 1 of 5 left. 1 neon has died and no rasboras have died.

The corys could have been a fluke because I think I just got unhealthy ones.

So I have 1 albino cory left, and I was planning on getting a few more so he is not lonely.

I also only have 4 neons, so I was planning to get at least 4 more neons.

What else should I get? Today at the LPS, they had some nice looking golden pristella tetra. I was also thinking I could get a albino or other pleco? How do they do with corys?

Any suggestions are welcome! :popcorn:

Your Tank

Hello bry...

A 20 gallon tall tank isn't ideal for fish. Probably why you've been losing them. I'd suggest a larger tank, one that's longer and shorter. Aeration, getting a steady supply of oxygen to the tank is important as is keeping the tank water pure all the time. That means large, frequent water changes and planting the tank well to help keep the water clear of wastes.

Choosing hardy fish is helpful too. Danios, Rasboras, White Clouds, Platys, Guppies and Tiger or Rosy Barbs are very tolerant of small changes in the water chemistry.

Just a couple of ideas.

B

Hello bry...

A 20 gallon tall tank isn't ideal for fish. Probably why you've been losing them. I'd suggest a larger tank, one that's longer and shorter. Aeration, getting a steady supply of oxygen to the tank is important as is keeping the tank water pure all the time. That means large, frequent water changes and planting the tank well to help keep the water clear of wastes.

Choosing hardy fish is helpful too. Danios, Rasboras, White Clouds, Platys, Guppies and Tiger or Rosy Barbs are very tolerant of small changes in the water chemistry.

Just a couple of ideas.

B

Are you being serious? A lot of people have 20gals. I also only had a problem with a group of corys, not consistent issues.

When I originally setup the tank no one on here said anything about a 20gal not being suitable for fish...I have never heard such a thing.

Are you being serious? A lot of people have 20gals. I also only had a problem with a group of corys, not consistent issues.

When I originally setup the tank no one on here said anything about a 20gal not being suitable for fish...I have never heard such a thing.

Not 20 gallon highs though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Not 20 gallon highs though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Not sure I agree, but only because I have never had anyone tell me that before. It may not be "ideal" but really is any aquarium ideal compared to a natural habitat in the wild?

I would just up the neons and cories and be done, don't get anything as messy as a pleco. Albino cories get on the larger side so stocking wise I'd go up to maybe 5 tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with Toad. 8-10 neons, maybe get your cories some buddies again, and maybe a honey or dwarf gourami as a centerpiece.

Hey bribell ignore the people telling you that a 20 is no good. Its probably the most common size sold and with an ac50 you have plenty of filtration and surface agitation. Just stock it properly and do proper water changes and you will be fine.
What's next people a 29 next will be a 55 is useless. It all depends on stocking properly.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As a side note, I've never had any luck with albino cories. I have always had great luck with the others in the past but the first time I got albinos I managed to kill all three in a week. They seem to be harder to find in good health than the others. Maybe try some peppered or panda ones instead? They seem to do better for me.

I would say Pristella are fine. They are pretty little things. An albino bnp should also work out fine. They should have some wood in their diet, so if you don't have any driftwood I suggest picking up some small bits. They typically do fine with cories and other fish.

Kuhli Loachs :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The problem is not that it's a twenty gallon, it's that it's a twenty gallon high, which leads to less surface area, less ground for the cories and less back and forth for the tetras, and should be stocked accordingly.

Yeah 20 gallon tanks are very common and great for a wide variety of fish. What was said earlier about the surface area is true, since there is less surface area you can not stick the tank quite as heavily. Do you have live plants in your tank? They can help with oxygen and what not. I would say up the neons to a more sizable school. Do you have pygmy cories available? Due to their lower bioload they may be better for the 20 high and they're more active generally. Basically, don't worry about the twenty cause it's a great sized fish tank, there are plenty of fish that are great for that size, including the ones you have.

Back
Top Bottom