Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got my 10 gallon today, as well as filter, heater, gravel(natural looking river gravel), gravel vacumn, water conditioner, and API Freshwater master test kit. Going to do a fishless cycle.
Once the cycle is complete, I'll be adding 5 glowlight tetra, 5 orange laser cory, and a betta, in that order(unless there will be a problem), waiting for the tank to fully stabilise between each group.
Still to get, some fake plants(for now at least), a net, and make a small plexi cave for them to hide in if they want. I'll also want to get a light as well, but going to go one step at a time.
Pure ammonia(hard to find, but I managed to find some that when shaken doesn't make bubbles) added, so now it's time to wait and monitor. Water from the tap measures out at between 0 and .25 ppm on ammonia, so I'll have to keep that in mind as well.
Am I missing anything?
Guess this is were the "patience is a virtue" gets tested at.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Just make sure you are not overstocking. A ten gallon with ornaments and plants is not going to leave a whole lot of swim room.

According to aqadvisor, the fish I want to put in, once fully grown, will be right at the limit.
As far as ornaments go, I'm looking at a fake plant or two(not ready yet for real ones), and some caves/cubby holes that they can hid in if they want to.

5 glowfish tetras after the cycling is complete.
Wait for tank to be stable.
5 Orange laser cory.
Wait for tank to be stable.
and lastly, one betta.

Small update, the ammonia levels have yet to twitch, but I did just start.
In the mean time, my homebuilt fishy caves are glued up and curing, so in a week or two, I'll be able to bury them under the gravel, while leaving the entrances open. I'll post pics once I get my camera working.
Have to love having scraps of brand new plexiglass laying around, can make all sorts of interesting things.

Another update. just hand my first go at cutting glass(3/16 from the used tank that failed it's leak test) to make a stronger lid for my tank. First go, and I had a lid that fit's nicely, only about 2-3 inches short of the whole tank length(piece I used wasn't long enough for the whole tank, and the one that is is being saved for once I get everything settled into it's final locations. After cutting, gave it a thorough cleaning with window cleaner, followed by 95% isopropyl alcohol(to removes any remaining traces from the window cleaner).
Also picked up some fake plants to decorate the inside of the tank a little. Looks a lot better than just an empty tank. Airstones are also fully buried in the grael now so that it looks like the gravel itself is bubbling.
A real plus, ammonia showed a very slight drop today, so the bacteria must be getting started. Still have to figure out where the slight trace of nitrates are coming from(already tested tap water when I filled the tank).

Do you happen to have pics? :)

I would have to say, that stock would over stock the tank. The Orange Laser cories aren't really meant for a 10 gallon (More like a 20 gallon since they are so active). Just leave it to 4-5 Glowlites and a single betta (Make sure you have a back-up plan for the betta if he starts attacking the other fish).

AqadVisor is really only for a general guideline, not the real thing. Really.

What kind of filter are you using and what is its Gallon Per Hour (GPH)?

If the corys would be too active(everything I've read is saying 10 gallon), are there any other catfish looking ones that would get along with the tetras and betta? I really can't put a bigger tank where I have this one. The weight of a 20 gallon would have me too nervous, but I know for a fact that it can safely hold a 10 gallon.
for the filter, can't remember the model, but it's rated for a 20 gallon tank, and I'm going to have to find a way to calm it down a little. Right now, it's hanging on the end of the tank, and it makes a pretty decent current across the whole tank.
The camera and computer aren't getting along too well right now, but I'm working on that.
Still need to get a light for the top of the tank though. Right now, it's very dark looking. One thing at a time.

Theres not really many Catfish that can fit in a 10 gallon. You could do a group of ghost shrimp (If your betta does alright with them, then try some Red Cherry Shrimp or Amano shrimp).

Really, they dark helps the bacteria grow, which will make your cycle a tiny bit faster. So...... Take your time :D

Finally found the problem with the camera, bad usb cable.
Here's a view of the top, with the glass I cut already in place. The drops of water on it are condensation and bubble splatter from the airpump.

Here's the front.

And, here's a second view of the front. Yes, that is a laptop sitting near it, but I have to use an external keyboard(built in is shot), and a monitor for a desktop.

The syringe sitting in front I have used to help with water tests(once a day), and there's another one put away that I used to add the ammonia, and is marked nh3 so I don't mix it up with anything else.

Ha, I had a custom piece of glass cut for a 72g bow once as well. I originally used Plexi Glass. Didn't realize it would sag because of the heat!

Good to see you're so organized with testing and everything. Keep it up.

Yeah, the master kit is sitting on the shelf behind the comp monitor and water conditioner is sitting behind the ammonia test kit until I build a shelf under the desk for airpumps and other supplies. Never did like to leave everything laying around. Still have to do something about wires and airline, they'll drive me nuts with how they are run right now outside of the tank.
I made the same mistake with the plexi. It actually bowed so far that it was touching the water. All I could do about it was laugh. On a tank this size, I don't mind giving it a go at the cutting of glass, but on bigger ones, I'll leave it to the pros. I don't think it came out too bad for my first time ever doing one.

You did a nice job. I had a friend whose dad owned a glass company, so I got it cut up for $15 a piece which I didn't think was too bad.

straick said:
If the corys would be too active(everything I've read is saying 10 gallon), are there any other catfish looking ones that would get along with the tetras and betta?

You could get pygmy cories instead.

I have to agree on the pygmy cories after some more reading. Didn't notice that the orange lasers can grow to 3 inch, while the pygmies can grow to 1 inch.
Question though, I know that I'm still cycling right now, but went ahead and tested all my water parameters. Have a drop in ammonia of about 1 ppm(down to 3ppm now), 0 nitrite, and a trace of nitrate. The one that has me worried is that the PH is right around 8.3 right now. I already know that fish prefer stable over the exact right PH, but I'm worried that with my PH that high that it will end up doing more harm than good. Is that normal during a cycle?
I took my glass top to a glass place almost right next door to get the edges smoothed before I get cut on them. They agreed that it was a good cut for a beginner. Now, all the edges are nice and smooth, as well as the corners. Almost cut myself on it carrying it over. Best part for me, when I was ready to pay, they said not to worry about it. Definitely going back there to get the final lid made. Have to make an inside cut to clear the hob and power wire to the heater, as well as the air hoses. Not ready for that yet.

I did a misread. Retested ammonia today, and it hasn't dropped yet. Must have made a mistake somehow yesterday. Going to try Fritz-zyme Turbo Start and see if that speeds things up. Unfortunately, my patience isn't the best in the world, but I tried, and I don't want my little fishy friends to have to put up with a tank being cycled.

Hey, congrats on the tank. I used aqua safe and added a bubble wall to mine for fishless cycling. Crank up the heat and leave about one inch of space from the HOB overflow. Then add 5 or 6 drops of ph down. It has enough phosphates to kick start the aqua safe. My cycle went from all stop to all ahead full in a few days. I have 5 plus nitrites and 80 ppm nitrates after a 60 percent water change. There is an article on here written by 7Enigma that I read and it works... And I had no old media or gravel as seed. Just the Aquasafe and Stress Zyme. I think the Aquasafe is better. Good luck and you have a nice tank.

I did a misread. Retested ammonia today, and it hasn't dropped yet. Must have made a mistake somehow yesterday. Going to try Fritz-zyme Turbo Start and see if that speeds things up. Unfortunately, my patience isn't the best in the world, but I tried, and I don't want my little fishy friends to have to put up with a tank being cycled.

Fritz-zyme Turbo Start is a Bacterial Additive right? If so, I wouldnt waste your money on it, it will do no good. Here, let me explain.

The thing about Using bacterial additives to speed up the cycle is that they have added at the same time fish are added (Not encouraging this though). Why this is is because once put into the aquarium (With no fish) it slowly dies off (Within 2-3 days) from the lack of ammonia (Fish).

My best solution is to Crank up the heat (Around the 80's), Provide surface agitation (With a bubbler or ripples from the filter), keep the lights off (Helps bacteria grow in dark), and Be patient. In no time, your cycle will be complete.

Back
Top Bottom