Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eeubanks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have just started to buy items needed to set up a 100 gallon planted, freshwater, community tank. My family has a military background so my last tank (30 gallon) was set up then broken down every 2-3 years for many years. Sadly it was broken in one of our moves. I haven't had a tank in about 15 years. I'm learning that there have been many changes-advances in the equipment available. Any recomendations will be much appriciated.

Thanks

Sounds like a project. I'm not a plant expert but I can tell you this, go with dual canister filters. Pricey to start but once established make life easy.

Just an idea - I currently have a 10 gallon with regular sand substrate. I use root tabs to give the plants their needed nutrients. It seems to work for me, but that is a very basic setup. Many people also add co2 to their tanks to help with plant growth.
I'm new, so I won't be of much help :) But I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Hi,

I have just started to buy items needed to set up a 100 gallon planted, freshwater, community tank. My family has a military background so my last tank (30 gallon) was set up then broken down every 2-3 years for many years. Sadly it was broken in one of our moves. I haven't had a tank in about 15 years. I'm learning that there have been many changes-advances in the equipment available. Any recomendations will be much appriciated.

Thanks

What a wonderful opportunity to build up a tank from scratch. It's a big undertaking and there will be a temptation to buy cheaper equipment as you need a lot. Don't do it - buy cheap, buy twice.
I run a 55 gallon bowfront with two larges external filters, two digital heater/stats, Co2 injection, plant and fish lighting, eco complete substrate, blue moon lights for the evening viewing and A UV filter. I dose the tank with Excel and liquid ferts daily and put in root tabs (ferts) every 3 months.
All equipment is rated at at least 50% more than my volume of water, especially the filters as I like to filter all the water 10 times an hour.
Just food for thought, but your first buy must be a liquid test kit, such as the API master freshwater kit and also the API Gh and Kh test kit. How anyone can set up a tank with out testing is a mystery to me.
Enjoy building your tank and if you decide on a particular piece of equipment then post it before you buy, you will get a lot of honest reviews.
Post what fish you intend to get and you will be swamped with comments.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom