Getting Started for the first time... again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I upped the NH3 to 4 ppm @ 7pm. Let's see what happens.

I upped the NH3 to 4 ppm a couple of times prior to a big pwc yesterday (to get rid of some high NO3 levels). Do you really think think I need yet another re-up?

Kryten said:
Okay, I upped the NH3 to 4 ppm @ 7pm. Let's see what happens.

I upped the NH3 to 4 ppm a couple of times prior to my big pwc yesterday. Do you really think think I need yet another re-up?

Had it been dropping from 4ppm down to zero ammonia and zero nitrItes within 24 hours previously?

Had it been dropping from 4ppm down to zero ammonia and zero nitrItes within 24 hours previously?

Yes, I am sorry that I was not more explicit about that in my posts from yesterday.

***Edit***

Also, FYI I'm using seeded filter media from a friends tank.

I think you're cycled then :). Go ahead and test tomorrow, and if ammo and no2 are at zero...go get some fish!

Report for 07.19.2011

Ammonia: 0 ppm
NitrIte: 0 ppm
NitrAte: over 20 ppm
PH: not tested
Hi Ph: not tested

Attachments

• 07-19-11 tests.jpg
    07-19-11 tests.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 60
proposal for community

My aquarium has the following specifications:

15 gallon (US)
1-15watt 6700°K bulb
1-15watt 5000°K bulb
Hagen Fluval U2 Underwater Filter
Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Filter
Rena Air 100 air pump
18 inch bubble wand

My desired community aquarium is as follows:

7 cherry red shrimp
4 otocinclus catfish
6 Harlequin rasbora
6 Neon tetra
2 Dwarf Gourami (one powder blue, one sunset)

Will this proposal work? :thanks:

The red cherry shrimp will be considered food, I would consider Amano shrimp.

If your cycling runs into some issues, I started my first tank a month ago with tetra safestart + full bioload, and cycled my tank within 6 days. Just make sure you follow instructions. 3 weeks in, no deaths, everything is thriving.

This link here has detailed instructions.

Good luck!

I think it's time to make a trip to the fish store!!! :dance:

I'd do one last 50% pwc to cut your nitrAtes in half, make sure the temperature is in the right range for your fish and go get them :)

You did an awesome job! Make sure you post some pics once you have fish swimming around in there!:fish2:

Will do! Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it! (y)

Some questions:

I should add the fish slowly and not dump several species in all at once, correct?
What are your thoughts to my community proposal?

Kryten said:
Will do! Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it! (y)

Some questions:

I should add the fish slowly and not dump several species in all at once, correct?
What are your thoughts to my community proposal?

One of the benefits of fishless cycling is that as long as the fish are peaceful, you can add a large portion of them all at once. Personally, I'd add all the Rasboras, Tetras, shrimp, and a single Dwarf Gourami at first. I'd wait a couple weeks before adding the Otos because they like an established tank with lots of yummy algae to munch on. I'm not sure about the compatibility of the 2 Gouramis...so personally I'd just go for your schooling fish, solo Dwarf Gourami and shrimp for now.

Make sure you keep an eye on your levels for a while after adding them...but I'm sure you're good to go :)

Okay, I added 5 Harlequin rasboras and 9 tetras. I have run into a bit of an issue with my filtration systems though, they water currents they create are very strong and are making it impossible for the fish to move freely around the tank. The filters I have once again are the Hagen Fluval U2 Underwater Filter and Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Filter which is a hang on the back variety. What can I do to help dampen the effect of the water flows?

Kryten said:
Okay, I added 5 Harlequin rasboras and 9 tetras. I have run into a bit of an issue with my filtration systems though, they water currents they create are very strong and are making it impossible for the fish to move freely around the tank. The filters I have once again are the Hagen Fluval U2 Underwater Filter and Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Filter which is a hang on the back variety. What can I do to help dampen the effect of the water flows?

You can try to wrap a piece of mechanical filter pad around the intake with a rubber band to start (not sure how that'd work on the U2 though) and see if that helps...or there's a plastic bottle trick but it's ugly as sin.

Personally I'd just let them be. They just got into the tank and are acclimating. It's normal for them to take time getting used to their new home. I don't believe either of those fish mind a good current :)

I found the instructions for the plastic bottle filter baffle and it's working for now. The fish have really gotten comfortable and are swimming all over the place and exploring their new home.

Tomorrow I'll be adding some shrimp and a gourami or perhaps a betta.

My new fish!

Here are my newest friends! :dance:

Attachments

• aquarium 1.jpg
    aquarium 1.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 65
  • aquarium 2.jpg
    aquarium 2.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 60
Awesome! Looks great, congrats :)

I'm sure they appreciate the work you put in to build them a safe little home.

Enjoy your fish!

Back
Top Bottom