Getting started with equipment, and need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snyder1185

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting over with the equipment I have. I, from lack of research, chose the wrong fish to go in my tank. I have taken the fish I original got back to the store I got them. First let me give a list of the equipment I have:
Aqua Tech 10 gallon tank
Aqua Tech 5/15 Power Filter (last post I incorrectly wrote 10/20)
a heater that keeps water between 75 and 80 degrees
Aqua Tech tropical fish large flake food
a bottle of Aqua Tech drops that make tap water safe for fish
a bottle of Aqua Tech drops that maintain water for fish and adds vitamins
My first question is how do I get the tank cycling before I add fish?
Then what fish do I need to get that will be compatible with my tank?
What do I need to feed those fish that I get?
And last, what do I need to do as far as the water goes to keep it clear and healthy for the fish that I get? How often do I need to change the tank water, and what can I put if anything in the water to keep it safe for the fish.
I know that is a lot of questions, but I have done a lot of research and found this to be the best place for info. Thanks for your help. I just want to do it the correct way.
PS
One more quick question. My water (even if i changed it once a week) would get cloudy and smell pretty bad. How do I prevent this?

Welcome to AA :)

From what I can quickly see, your going to need a few more items:

Most important, you need a freshwater test kit. You have almost no way of being able to check your cycle without knowing what you ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings are. I use the "Freshwater Master Kit" from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. WELL worth the investment.

You will also be well advised to get a Python. It will make all of your water changes a easy part of life, instead of something to be avoided.

The easiest way to get a tank to start its cycle is to grab some media from a friend with an established, HEALTHY fish tank already set up. Otherwise, search the forums for a fishless cycling guide. You basically add ammnonia until nitrites start to develope. There is also the Bio-Spira route.

Most tropical fish that would do well in a 10gal will be happy to eat your flake food.

As far as water changes, if your tank is already cycled when you add the fish, 25-50% water changes per week should be just fine, but that is why you will want that test kit, just to be on the safe side :)

I am not by far as "Pro" as the other members, but saw your post and had a few minutes :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom