Getting stocking % right for 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josie.paolillo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planted 20 gallon long tiger barb tank. Well it was supposed to be a species only tiger barb tank, but as they matured I realised two of them are ruby barbs :nono: it has been set up for over 4 months, cycled before adding fish.

I have 2 ruby barbs, 3 albino and one green. Aq advisor says I can have 12 barbs in this tank and still be under 80% stocked (I'm using adult sizes) but that seems as though it would be grossly over stocked to me. I would like to add a couple of striped tigers, as that's what I really wanted in the first place...aqadvisor has always given me good advise, but I'm not sure this time.
I keep the water perfect at all times, ammonia and nitrites always 0, nitrates are rarely above 5-10. 2-3 water changes of 30-50% every week.
Any advise will be appreciated :)

Hi Josie :)
You know I have no barbs of any kind, but I did some researching online and I really do agree that 12 in a 20 gallon is pushing the limit of safe stocking in spite of how great you are about keeping your water parameters perfect. I'd say 8 to 10 is more in the range of a reasonably stocked tank, again, just based on research I did today. Do barbs need to be in groups of a certain number, like tetras? Just wondering, in terms of the striped barbs, whether they might need a group of four.

Thank Greta :)
They all hang around together and don't seem to mind they are different colours from each other, so I dont think it would matter if I only got 2 more striped ones, I think I will get three :) I've heard they do better in odd numbers, not sure how true it is but I've read it in a few different places so there must be something to it!

Back
Top Bottom