Gf's 20 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Gave my girlfriend my old 20 gallon tank, she is new to fish other than her beta and I have multiple tanks so It was a good opportunity.

Started cycling her tank on September 1st.

Been on since, sand substrate, heater, 30 gallon filter, random fake plants, LED Hood.

Using API master test kit.

Ammonia is at 8 ppm

Has never dropped, no nitrites.

What's going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would take out all the water and start over with cycling. They the previous posted mentioned 8is super high and 4 tends to be best/advised for cycling.

You might be sort of close to done but stalled it. Or have you always kept it at 8?

Oo that's not good. I'd drain all the water, add new water, test it about a half hour later, just to see what it says, and then dose it to around 4ppm. See how that gets you going again. I found that with my 10g, about 1 to 1 1/4 tsp of ammonia got me to around 4ppm... so not sure if double that would do it in a 20g. You'll have to experiment until you get it right.

But yeah, 8ppm the whole time, that is most likely your problem.

Yeah, the only place I could get it without additives or anything that would be harmful to the bacteria was ace hardware.

:)

We got ours at a Family Dollar. But we could have gotten it at ACE. I just didn't like how they didn't have the ingredients on the label. But. It is janitorial strength, so, I doubt it had anything else in it.

Good luck! :D Keep us posted!

Do you have any seeded material you can give her to speed up/instant cycle?

Well I'm not Sure what I could give her. All the tanks have sand substrate, turtle tank has a canister filter, community tank is pretty new still.

I could maybe give her some from my 5 gallon beta tank, but that wouldn't help much.

Try some easy live plants. They'll help cycle the tank and give her something to look at. Java Ferns will grow under almost any light. Just tie to wood or rock.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I told her to go ahead and change out the water and I'll redo the ammonia.

Still haven't. Lol school and work has me very tied up, but I should have time sometime this week to help her get the ammonia right.

Aww. It's ok. No fish in yet right?

It's definitely best to wait till you have time to do it right :)

Do you have any fish in mind yet for when it's ready? I forget.

Lol yeah no fish.

I think she was looking at shrimp or maybe a crayfish. (She's not sure about a crayfish because it changes everything else she wants lol)

She is pretty sure on shrimp and then some very peaceful community fish to go with possibly.

She loves guppies, and I think one of my female guppies is preggers right now. So maybe those.

Nothing for sure.

I keep finding that even a small amount of seeded media helps a ton. I'm fairly new here too but if she has a HOB filter there may be room for some of your gravel or canister media in a sock. Or pull out any filter floss you have and squeeze it onto her filter cartridge. Sometimes I stick the new tanks filter cartridge into the filter on my big tank for a few days, laying it in somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Alright! Finally had time to set it back up and get the ammonia right.

Got it to 4ish ppm.

Went ahead and two days later pulled a full filter pad from one of my established tanks that has a couple of filters but truly only needs one. Put the whole pad in her filter.

Waited two days.

Ammonia 2-4 ppm

Nitrites straight up to 2ppm

Tested it the next day

Ammonia 2 ppm.

So definitely gave her a good start with that pad.

Back
Top Bottom