Gh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I'm not sure if I want to change this and could use a nudge in the right direction. Alkalinity prevents pH swings and I test for this when I check for KH. My tanks water stays around 8 dKH with a 7.0 pH. When I test for GH it is almost always off the charts hard water (think > 500 ppm) unless I use filtered water mixed in with the water change. Should I be concerned with the GH and other then stocking up on filtered water are there some solutions for reducing the GH? Is this a problem for Oto cats as I think it might be? Has anyone used bottled spring water instead of distilled water?

Otos are OK in my fairly hard water (300 ppm), but I suppose it depends on how far off the scale you are in GH as to what problem you have. But if the fish are doing fine, I would tend to leave well enough alone.

With your KH, you can prob. mix in 50% RO/DI water & still get pH stability. Substituting spring water for RO/DI may be OK - but it depends on what spring the water is from ... some spring water is actually hard water.

You can try reducing the GH by filtering the water through peat. Never tried that myself, but apparently you need a lot of peat. <One recipe called for 1 gal of peat in a 5 gal jug.>

I have 3 oto cats and my water is ph 7.8, 15dGH, 6dKH. They have been fine for 2 months now and bounce all over the tank.
I used the drip acclimation method for 2 hours before introducing them to the tank. I wouldn't get too concerned with the #'s if you have nice stable water.

Yeah, I'd say stability over "perfect" specs unless the specs are way off the charts.

Back
Top Bottom